Complications...

• Dedicated to Keir James

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked a little too aggressively. The woman looked between the two of us with a concerned and skeptical look.  

"Is this the young lady you were talking about?" I could see Sophie look at me and then at the woman. She turned a subtle shade of purple before turning on her heel and flouncing backs into the changing rooms. I started to follow her but instead hit into the small but solid wall of the shop clerk.  

Surprisingly she stopped me in my tracks, making me bounce back off her padded stomach and look down smiling at her round and reddish face. She looked cross with me.  

"I am very sorry young man but you can't go back there, it is the ladies changing rooms and there is a young lady changing in there" She looked pretty serious too, her smile fading quickly, clearly not amused by the fact I had probably made her lose the sale of that amazing green dress. I had never in a million Sundays thought that Sophie would pick something like that, I expected frills, flamboyant sparkles but it was so simple, and classy and elegant, and she had totally rocked in the dress! Cleavage, but not slutty like Imogen. I found myself thinking, how could I have ever looked at Imogen when there were girls like Sophie in the world. No, not girls like her; just her.  

"But she's my girlfriend?" I was despairing now, I just needed to say sorry. Sorry I was a selfish idiot who felt of nothing but himself, sorry I thought she wasn't independent and able to look after herself, sorry I took her for granted and didn't say I loved her every minute of the day. I needed to say it, while I had the guts. 

"Well she doesn't seem to think so sunny Jim, so you have better take a little sit down over there and wait for her to be decent" I begrudgingly went and sat by the window, I saw a pair of golden rimmed spectacles from god knows when, a pair of glittery blue heels and a fascinator with feathers and things floating around it, this must give the girls the feeling I got when I was playing cod. Utter bliss.  

"I doubt he'll be decent, so I don't see why I should be!" She whisper yelled so that I could hear without allowing people outside the open window to. She sounded pissed. I didn't like her sounding angry at me, I would literally do anything to make her say three words, or at least to stop hating on me. She and I both knew I was an idiot. So give me a chance to apologise!  

"Please Sophie" She came out of the changing rooms with the green dress on a hanger. She handed it to the woman with a wistful look at it, before it was filed back into a wardrobe full of similar colour dresses. I saw the mournful gaze before she turned and looked at me with a death glare.  

"Don't please at me Riley, are you here to check up on me? To check I'm still living, to make sure I haven't broken a nail or pressed a big red button and sent a nuclear bomb to Cuba!" That wasn't so calm. She walked towards me.

I was confused when I came out of the changing room, rather roughly being forced, and found Riley staring back at me. With his stupid bluey eyes and a dumbstruck expression. I found myself thinking had that been the effect the dress had on him? Or was it just surprise?  

Damn it! In fact, damn him for me loving him too much to stay mad at him!  

Grrrr. He was such a pain in the ass!  

That made me angry! Why did he have to do that, stare at me like some lovesick puppy. Why couldn't he be mad at me, I did run out on him last night and lunch today, and he didn't even look mad, I mean what kind of male was he?  

ONE IN LOVE! 

Shut up you stupid voice in the back of my head!  

God I was hormonal, I really had to get out of here.