Rugby Romance: Chapter 1

I walked through the front door and slammed it shut. I was so angry and upset, and it was all because of one idiotic ex-boyfriend. I’d had a crap day at school and that topped it all off. I walked into the living room and Owen wasn’t there. I threw my bag across the room, all my papers flying out of it. I didn’t care. I picked up a glass and smashed it against the wall whilst holding it, blood dripped from my hand. I did it again with another. My hand was covered in the deep red liquid. I looked down at my hand, it wasn’t enough I needed to do more. I walked into the kitchen and found another glass in the same hand I placed the glass and smashed it on the worktop. I stopped for all of two seconds to find another glass. I needed to see more blood. Its physiological, most people faint or squirm at the sight of blood, I have to see more. Each time, more. I found another glass as I walked through into the living room to smash it on the wall I heard the front door open. I paused before smashing the glass I didn’t know if it was Owen or not, at that point I was beyond caring, I was too angry and upset to care. I raised the glass, tears streaming down my face, and smashed on the wall. The living room door burst open. It was my boyfriend, Owen. At that point I did care that he saw me like this.

“Elle what are you doing?” he asked quickly. To this I didn’t respond. I simply sat on the floor in tears. Owen stood there silently, he said nothing but then he saw the blood. The warm, dark liquid all over my hands.

“Elle, why are you covered in blood, why is there smashed glass everywhere, what’s happened” he said quietly. I couldn’t face it; I couldn’t stop crying I just sat there with my hands on my lap with my legs crossed sobbing. Owen walked passed me into the kitchen to find more broken glass, I could hear the crunch of it when he walked over it. He came back into the living room. He had a cloth in his hand. He sat down crossed legged in front of me, gently he took my left hand in his and pressed the damp cold cloth onto my blood stained hand. I winced. He looked up at me and then back down at my hand. I had calmed down a little, his being with me usually calms me down, and he makes me feel safe. When he had finished with my left hand he put in on his lap, but I lifted it off and put it on my own. He lifted up my right hand, which was still bleeding heavily. Gently he pressed the cloth onto it; I winced again and tried to pull away. But Owen held my hand firmly.

“Let me sort it, I’m going to sort it” he said calmly. I un-tensed my arm and relaxed a little. Owen finished sorting out my hand. He got up and went into the kitchen and collected all the broken glass fragments. I leant my head against the wall and closed my eyes.  I opened my eyes just as he came back in with some bandages; he sat where he sat before and took each hand one by one. Wrapped them and taped them. He got back up and took everything back to the kitchen. I leant back on the wall and closed my eyes, thinking of what a crap day I’d had. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks again. Then I felt a hand on my face. Owen was sat at the side of me. He saw I was crying, he placed his hand on my face to wipe away the tears. I moved so I could rest on his shoulder. Then he comfortingly put his arm around me.