Rugby Romance: Chapter 3

Without even thinking I dropped the piece of glass I was holding and dived to knock the knife out of his hand, he was more important to me and seeing him hurt would kill me. When I jumped to grab the knife, I guess he was one step ahead of me. He threw it away and caught me. We both ended up on the floor. I just lay there crying, I wasn’t thinking. I could’ve lost him, and he is the most important thing in my life right now. He was sat up; he put his arms underneath mine and sat me up. He pulled me close to him and made soft “hush” sounds.

“He text you?” he asked after I had calmed down.

“Uhuh” I mumbled. He took my left hand and pulled off the bandages. He looked at it then tilted it to me, there was a tiny scratch. I felt less worried now. But the real problem was my right hand. He left it in the bandages on for a little longer. I looked at the clock, ten minutes left. I got up really quickly and ran into the living room. Owen followed almost as quick and before I could tidy up he said:

“No, sit down and breathe. Stop and calm down, remember what I said, I’m taking you back to mine. Sit down and breathe, please babe.” I couldn’t ignore him. So I did as I was told. I sat down and calmed down. I watched him pick up the last of the glass. He was very careful, he’s so manly but so careful. He finished clearing up my mess in about 7 minutes; just as well, I heard mum pull into the drive.

“Owen! She’s back, come and sit down quick!” I said loudly. He came running in from the kitchen and sat next to me and put his arm around me. I leant on his shoulder. We began talking about rugby, just as mum walked in the door.

“Brad is lovely…oh god I can remember when I got a tweet from him, I almost died, I was running around screaming at ten o’clock at night. I text my mum and she rang me and I told her!” I said as if everything was normal.

“Oh is this the famous tweet from Brad Barritt?” said Sophie as she walked through the door.

“Yes it is mum!” I replied.

“Hi Sophie, how are you?” Owen asked politely.

“I’m alright Owen thanks, what about you two?” she replied.

“We are great thanks mum” I answered quickly.

“I’m going to steal her away for a couple of hours Sophie, just going back to mine for a little while, practise kicking and what not!” said Owen cheerfully.

“That’s fine, as long as she’s home by ten. School night!” said Sophie.

“Yeah okay mum whatever!” I replied cheekily. I got up and walked toward the door.

“What are you doing babe?” Owen asked me.

“Going to get out of these rags” I said, referring to my school uniform.

“Okay then hurry up babes!” he said happily. I nodded and ran up the stairs. I got to my room and pulled off my school uniform and jumped into my red jeans and my Saracens top. I fixed my hair and re-applied my make up. I then walked down the stairs and back into the living room. Owen got up and so did my mum. Mum hugged me and Owen.

“See you later” she said. I said the same back to her and walked out the front door with Owen. I had picked up my England hoodie from the coat rail and was pulling it over my top whilst walking down the drive. Mum had shut the door when I turned around to look. Owen slipped his hand into mine as we walked down the road to his car. I remembered I hadn’t got my phone; I turned to him and told him. Then he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out my phone. I gave him the “you are amazing look” and he smiled.