Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18

Will was gone.

Dead.

Like Jimmy, like my grandfather, my parents.

And most likely I would follow.

For hours we'd been traveling in the carriage, wheels bouncing over dirt roads until my aching body had grown numb. Although the very men who had killed my friends, and who would murder me sat beside and across from me, I was barely aware. I'd sat quietly in the corner, staring unblinkingly at the blur of trees, lost in my grief, my fear, my pain.

Will was gone.

I was the last one left but I knew I wouldn't be here much longer. But what hurt me more than anything, what twisted like a dagger deep within my gut, was Thane's betrayal. I hadn't known him at all. He was a monster. The Thane I thought I'd known had been a myth, like a character in one of the very books he'd given me.

We'd been fighting a losing battle all along. Death had finally caught up to us, taking no prisoners. As with the very insects, mammals, and reptiles we'd exterminated from our gardens. They'd tried so hard to survive, but it had been pointless because we were ruthless, stronger and determined.

Vaguely I was aware of Thane's hand gripping my upper arm as we sat side by side. The same hand that had killed Will. Perhaps he thought I might try to throw open the carriage door and jump. But jumping would only amuse them, and I'd be damned if I'd provide the entertainment. Will had died well, marching nobly to death and I would as well.

How could I have trusted Thane so utterly and completely? Why hadn't I paid attention to that cold indifference I'd seen so often in the dhampir's eyes? Why had I ignored the way he killed without remorse?

I didn't care about my own death. I'd given up worrying about that long ago. But I was angry that I hadn't been able to do more. Angry that I hadn't been able to give the others a fighting chance. I could only hope Kelly had escaped. I could pretend. Pretend that they would find the serum, that they would live on, while the vampires around them slowly died off.

I could pretend.

"I can practically hear your mind spinning," Bacchus said from across the carriage. I couldn't see his features in the dim light, but his eyes glowed eerily. He found me so very amusing, and toyed with me like a cat playing with a little mouse.

"Why am I still alive?" I demanded.

"Would you rather have it over quickly?" Bacchus asked, tilting his head to the side as if he was contemplating the idea.

How I hated him. But I despised Thane even more. Bacchus hadn't hid what he was. He'd made it clear he was a full-blooded killer. But Thane...Thane had used me. Pretended to care. And it hurt so much more than I would ever admit.

"Yes, actually, I would like it done quickly because I'd rather be dead than in your company a moment longer."

"Oh don't worry, my dear. Your wish will be granted soon enough." He smoothed down his cloak and folded his hands demurely in his lap. "Now then, enough with the theatrics. You humans are so dramatic."

"Says the monster wearing silk pantaloons," I muttered.

Bacchus laughed, but his mirth didn't quite reach his eyes. "They are going to love you at the castle, my dear."

I shivered despite trying to hold back my fear. "Why?" I demanded. "Why are you doing this? Why do you hate humans so?"

Bacchus shrugged. "Don't take it personally. We need to eat."