Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

"You're seriously going to let him live?" I seethed, trying to keep my temper in check, attempting to understand Will's insane decision. "After all he's done?"

Bacchus sat against an oak tree only about twenty feet away. The smirk on his face made me ill. We talked quietly, but I knew he could hear. His hands were chained behind his back, his ankles bonded as well. But with his strength, and with blood coursing through his body, he could easily break the bonds. Thank God Will wasn't allowing him to feed, which meant he would only grow weaker. One small consolation. How long would he last without blood? The sooner he died, the better.

"He's an asset," Will explained as the camp around us awoke to their early morning routine. We'd been traveling for a week and my side was slowly, if painfully, mending. Will had managed to stitch the wound and Thane was keeping tabs to make sure there was no infection. Although it hurt, it could have been much, much worse.

I released a harsh laugh. "You think he's an asset because he claims he can help you?" I shook my head, frustrated and bemused. "He's lying and will kill you the moment he can."

Will sighed and raked his hands through his hair. "It's a chance we have to take."

I had to remind myself that this wasn't my group to lead, that Will had been their fearless captain for years. They listened to him, they trusted him. But I still worried. "And if he turns on you?"

"We'll have him under constant watch."

It was pure stupidity. But it wasn't the first time Will had done something I didn't agree with and I assumed it wouldn't be the last. But then it wouldn't matter much longer. I scanned the group, chosen ones and dhampir mingling together, working in cooperation thanks to Thane. It was the only way we could win this war...with their help and the serum. We'd lost a lot of men and women a week ago, but we could have lost so many more. In the end, I supposed we had won. Although where war was concerned, I wasn't sure if anyone could truly call themselves a winner.

"I'm doing what's best for the group," Will said.

Irate, my hands curled. "What's best for—"

"Hey." Kelly moved close and slid her arm around my waist, her presence always comforting. She smiled at me, but I could see the worry in her gaze. She'd arrived two days ago with a new group of chosen ones. Our camp had surged to at least seventy. A small army. "It's done, it's over. We won."

I knew she was trying to keep us from arguing. She was right...I tired of the fighting too. Still, the smile that lit my lips was forced. "Yeah. Great."

But it wasn't over. It wouldn't be over until the beautiful ones were dead. The wound throbbing at my side was a painful reminder.

"Will," someone called out.

He hesitated, his gaze on me, but always a leader, he went off to help. Will would forever be called away by someone who needed him. He would never have a life of his own. But he thrived on it, so who was I to judge him?

"We'll start on the compounds," Kelly said. "Help the other chosen ones escape, even force them to leave if we must." She laughed, shaking her head over their naiveté. "They'll be like newborns, unsure of their surroundings and—"

"I'm leaving Kelly."

Startled, she drew back. "No. Where would you go? You belong here, with us."

But I didn't. I never had. "I have to go, you know that, right? I have to find Raven and see if he knows the recipe for the serum. If I don't, then those chosen ones you rescue will be no better off outside the compounds."