Chapter 13

(America's POV)

Silvia ushers us all to the Report and we sit in alphabetical order.

"Now.. All we have to do is wait for Prince Maxon and King Clarkson to arrive." She murmurs to herself. My stomach clenches, but I'm not sure why. The only reason I can think of is that Maxon is doing eliminations later, and that I'm nervous. I know I shouldn't be nervous, but I can't help thinking about it.

What if I was too upfront about how I felt?

What if Maxon changed his mind and doesn't like me anymore?

If I mess up on the Report, will Maxon not like me anymore? It also feels like he's been spending more and more time with Kriss, too. Does he prefer her over me?

My thoughts are cut short as Silvia announces,

"Due to personal reasons, the Prince and King will not be attending the Report. So we are going to start, and the Queen will be telling the others about how your projects are." I look over and see that Kriss is here. Thank God. If she wasn't here I would've gotten extremely nervous about both her and Maxon being gone.

"First up, Miss Kriss Ambers!" Gavril announces. At this point, I zone out. I don't want to hear any other project. I'm going second to last, with Marlee after me.

I look up and see Kriss laughing along with Gavril. She looks so happy and content. Would she make a better queen than me? Would she make this country a better place?

One by one, the girls go up. I zone out through all of the projects. That's when I hear,

"And now we have... Lady America Singer!" The crowd goes nuts as I slowly walk up to the stage up to Gavril.

"So, Miss America, would you please tell us what you would do to make this country a better place?"

I take a deep breath and explain everything to him.

"I feel that we should give food to the lower castes 3 or 4 times a week. And not just scraps of food. Big, lavishing meals 3 times a day. This would lead to less violence because there's less starvation. When there's less violence and starvation, jobs are made because people can think sensibly, instead of thinking about their hunger.

I once knew a man who's younger brother was starving. His family could barely pay for anything. So one day, this little boy had stolen an apple from the market. Nothing big, really. And it was rather harmless. Let me remind you that this boy was absolutely starving, very underweight, and probably hadn't had a decent meal in weeks. So really, this small apple was probably saving his life.

Anyway, people found out, and he was whipped in the streets in front of everyone. For a small apple. This is why I think that we should give the lower caste people decent meals. But then, you ask, why not the higher castes, too? Because they have the money to pay for food, and they aren't starving on the streets." The rooms goes silent and everyone stares at me. I start to get a little uncomfortable. Then, the crowd bursts into applause.

"That was very nice America!" Gavril says while the crowd hoots and hollers my name.

"Now, may I ask, was that your original idea or did you have something else?" I start to pale immediately. Yes, I had another idea but I had quickly dismissed it because I felt it would get me into too much trouble.

"That-That wasn't my original idea, no. I had something else, but I didn't like it, so I changed it." I say. Gavril nods in understanding and then says the words that I am dreading.

"Would you care to explain what that idea was?" I really, really don't want to. But if I say no, would that make me look bad in front of Illéa? Or would it make me look bad in front of the queen, who would eventually tell the king and Maxon?

"I, uhh..." I say, trying to stall for time. Of course, Gavil doesn't say anything like, It's ok if you don't want to tell us, or, you don't need to say if you don't want to. But no. Of course not.

"Errrrr.." I decide that since it seems like I'm going to have to tell them, I'm going to have to stretch the truth.

"I, uh, had the idea of um, removing the uhh, castes..." I'm cut off by gasps from the crowd and an intense look from Gavril.

"Continue," he demands.

"Ok, well, I didn't really like the idea so I didn't use it. That's all." It's silent until Gavril says,

"Ok, thank you, you may go back to your seat now." I slowly walk back to my seat. Marlee gives me a thumbs up and I smile back at her. A real, genuine, smile. I feel like she's the only one I can truly open myself up to and tell the truth.

"Good luck," I whisper to her and she just nods nervously back to me.

Her interview goes by in a breeze, and soon we are done the Report. I'm so mortified that I just sprint as fast as I can to my room. What will they all think of me? I bet I don't have the king or queen's support anymore. I should've just told Gavril that I didn't want to say what my original idea was.

"Miss?" I turn around and see Lucy. She's the only one here besides me.

"Hey Lucy," I say quietly.

"What's wrong?" She asks and I just simply shake my head.

"It's nothing, Lucy, I'm probably just overreacting to everything."

"Is this about the Report? Because I thought you were amazing!" I just sigh and sit in my bed. Then, I let my face fall into my hands.

"America," she says quietly.

"If this is about the castes thing, I don't think they'll be mad. And anyway, you didn't go into detail about it. The queen didn't look thrilled, but she didn't look super mad either," Lucy says, trying to calm me. I smile at her and open my mouth to say something. But there's a knock at the door.

"America?"

Maxon.