10. it's just me

"Alec! Jace got her!" Izzy's voice flooded through the earpiece of Alec's cell phone and he almost felt like his overwhelming relief was going to knock him down

"She's okay?" Alec asked weakly, and Izzy made a noise in the back of her throat.

"I don't know. I haven't seen her yet. Get back to the Institute. The vampires are not going to be happy that we just kidnapped their captive."

Alec hung up the phone, making his way back to the Institute as quickly as he could. Once there, he instantly went down to the infirmary. He patted Jace on the back as he entered and made his way to Cassia's bed. Jace followed him closely, watching as he looked at his wife.

"They're not sure what's wrong with her. It's almost like she's been poisoned or something, but not with anything we can detect. She was fine when I first got to her, but then she just seemed to drain," Jace explained, and Alec nodded shortly. Jace placed a hand on his parabatai's back and Alec leaned into him for just a moment before Jace removed his hand and left him, giving him a minute with Cassia.

"Cass, I need you to wake up, okay? We were just... just figuring out how the hell this is going to work, you know? I was falling in love with you, Cassia, despite myself. I tried so hard not to, but I couldn't resist you. You're so stupid and ridiculous... but also kind of the most fantastic person I've ever met. You wormed your way in and I just need you to be okay, little one," Alec said, his voice quiet and full of emotion. A tear slipped down his cheek as he stared down at his wife, and suddenly her eyelids fluttered.

She woke with a gasp a moment later, sitting up in the bed and looking around curiously. Alec watched her, desperately wanting to grab ahold of her but not wanting to startle her.

"Cass..." he said her name slowly, and she focused her gaze on him, looking at him blankly.

"Who are you?" she asked, and Alec's brows furrowed and his heart sank.

"You don't know me?" he asked, and she shook her head. "I'm your husband, Cassia," he told her, and it was her turn to look positively confused.

"No, you're not. I'm not married," she said, looking around with more panic in her eyes. "Where's Jace?" she asked, sounding hysterical. "Jace?" she screamed his name, and Alec stood and backed away from her, his hands raised in surrender.

"Cass, it's okay. I'm gonna go get Jace, okay? He's here and I'm going to go get him," Alec said, backing out of the room. A glance back at Cass told him her face was full of something that looked quite similar to terror. The whole time he'd known her, he'd never seen her looking so scared and confused and it absolutely broke his heart.

He made his way upstairs and found Jace quickly.

"She doesn't remember me," Alec said, and Jace looked at him like he was crazy.

"What? What the hell do you mean she doesn't remember you?" Jace asked, and Alec shrugged.

"Exactly what I said. Part of her memory has obviously been erased or something. She has no idea who I am and she's calling for you. She's about to have a panic attack," Alec said, and he and Jace immediately started walking back downstairs.

"Wait, she doesn't remember you at all? So then it's not any sort of steady pattern of memories that are gone, because if it was just recent ones, she'd definitely still know who you were," Jace said, and Alec nodded.

"I think it's just me," Alec said, and Jace shook his head.

"Who would've removed you from her memory? What purpose would that serve anyone?" Jace asked, and Alec shrugged again.

"No idea, but I'm telling you it seems like it's just me. She definitely knew who you were," Alec said, and Jace could immediately tell that he wasn't exactly happy about that fact.

"I'm sure it doesn't mean anything. We'll get her fixed and everything will be just fine," Jace said as they walked into the infirmary. As they rounded the corner to Cassia's bed, she all but leapt into Jace's arms. Alec looked away with a pained look on his face, not exactly interested in seeing his wife in the arms of his parabatai.

"I was so scared that you weren't going to rescue me," Alec heard Cass say to Jace as he cast one more look over his shoulder at the two before making his way back upstairs.