12. probably true

"Magnus is here to fix you up, okay?" Jace asked Cass as Magnus and Alec walked into the infirmary a few minutes later

"Magnus is here to fix you up, okay?" Jace asked Cass as Magnus and Alec walked into the infirmary a few minutes later. "Don't be scared. You'll be just fine," Jace reassured her, standing out of the chair beside her bed and making room for Magnus.

Cass watched him back up, her eyes shifting between him and Alec. She desperately wished she remembered, especially if the other man was actually her husband. She knew he was undoubtedly feeling pretty shitty about the fact that she didn't remember him and was a little bit involuntarily scared of him. She studied him, taking in his dark hair, his bright wide eyes, his lanky but muscular frame. He was attractive, for sure. She silently applauded herself for making such a score.

"Hello, Cassia," Magnus said to her, snapping her out of her thoughts. He was approaching her slowly, obviously trying to figure out if she knew who he was or not. She did, immediately.

"Hi, Magnus," she said, sitting up straighter in the bed.

Magnus immediately and without another word put his hands on either side of her head, obviously trying to see into her mind. Cassia could see everything he was seeing in flashes of bright light in front of her. She saw her childhood, her parents, Izzy, Jace, and countless other young shadowhunters they'd trained with. She saw images from the rest of her life; her teenage years and beyond into her early twenties. Magnus dug around, looking through her memories for a long time. Eventually, he removed his hands from her head and regarded her.

"Can you fix it?" she asked, and Magnus nodded.

"Yes, but I'll need some things first," he said, turning to Jace and Alec. He gave them both a list of things to get and sent them off, turning back to Cassia. "I need you to know, small one, this won't be fun," he said as soon as everyone else was gone from the room.

"What does that mean?" she asked, and he perched on the edge of the chair beside the bed.

"I was able to detect the magic that removed Alexander from your brain. It's removable, but it's strong. I'll do my best to do this as cleanly as possible, but it could potentially mess with other memories, and if it jumbles them up too much, it may render you unconscious while your brain tries to organize itself," Magnus explained, and Cassia looked at him, confused.

"So what if it knocks me out for a while?" she asked, and Magnus shook his head.

"It might be a while, and it might not. It's possible that you could end up in a coma-like state that I might not be able to pull you out of," he said, and she sighed heavily.

"Oh," she said, and Magnus nodded.

"I didn't want to tell you with everyone else in the room because it's your decision to make. I can do this right now, or I can not. But if I don't, I'm not sure you'll ever remember Alexander and your lives together," he told her, and she thought about it for a long moment.

"Of course I have to take the risk," she said eventually, looking up right as Jace walked back into the room with his arms full of the ingredients Magnus had requested.

"Alright. Let's get started, then," Magnus said, taking a bowl from Jace and starting to mix.

When the potion was mixed a while later, Magnus took it out of the bowl and rubbed it over Cassia's forehead. She glanced at Alec and Jace a final time before taking Magnus' request to close her eyes and breathe deeply.

Magnus uttered an incantation and Cassia felt it start to work immediately. She felt like she'd been hit by a truck. Her head was heavy and hurt worse than she could ever remember it hurting. She cried out quietly in pain, unable to open her eyes.

Magnus held her hand tightly, not flinching even slightly when she squeezed with all of her might at the pain. He continued with the incantation, and Cassia could almost feel the memories and thoughts inside her head swirling around, flashing by like they were going a million miles an hour.

Her entire body hurt and she felt it as sweat broke out over her skin. She cried out again and Magnus continued, squeezing her hand with one of his and holding her down onto the bed with the other. Alec and Jace yelled, but she couldn't make out their words. All she could make out as she slipped into unconsciousness was Magnus' incantation and the throbbing pain in her body.

"Cass? Are you in there?" a gentle voice floated into Cass' ears and she recognized it at once

"Alec?" she whispered, her eyes slipping open slowly and taking a minute to adjust to the light in the room.

"I'm here. You remember me?" he asked just as her eyes finally focused on his concerned face. She looked him over slowly, taking in every angle of his face. Instead of answering him, she sat up in the bed and took his face in her hands, touching it gently like it might crack and break otherwise. Before he could say anything else, she pulled him close to her and kissed him passionately and urgently, like he might disappear. She tangled a hand into his hair and he held onto her tightly, his arms wrapped around her.

She pulled away a moment later, keeping their faces mere inches apart. She studied him again, her eyes boring into his.

"I love you, you pain in the ass," she told him, happy tears in her eyes.

"I love you too, and you're definitely the pain in the ass here," he responded, his lips connecting with hers again.

"Uh, you're both definitely pains in the ass," Izzy piped up from behind them, laughing.

"Probably true," Cass told her, laughing as she stood to hug the both of them.

•••••

a/n: the end! i really love this. i'd say i'd do a sequel but honestly i just never really am able to motivate myself for sequels for some reason. either way, i hope everyone loved this story as much as i loved writing. thanks for all the love i've gotten on it!! 💖