c h a p t e r t h i r t y n i n e

-

"Maybe home is nothing but two arms holding you tight when you're at your worst."

-

Hermione convinced Pansy and Blaise to stay at home. It was already late as it was and she didn't want it to be a burden to them.

She apparated herself into the living room of the manor, not quite sure where Draco was. Her eyes scanned the room, deciding to go check in the dining room once she found nobody.

Hermione was about to walk into the room when she stopped a couple of centimetres away from the door. Draco and Narcissa's voices could be heard through a crack between the doors and although she knew it was wrong, she couldn't help but listen in on the conversation.

"Meaning what, Mother?"
"He got his soulmate pregnant."
"Pregnant with who?"
"Pregnant with you, Draco."

Draco didn't say anything for a few minutes. Hermione looked through the crack and she could just about see his face. He was looking down at his hands, furrowing his eyebrows.

"But didn't you say his soulmate was muggle-born?" he said eventually.
Narcissa placed her hand on his and nodded, "I think you know what that means."

Draco pulled his hand away and glared at his mother. "I'm a half-blood, aren't I?" he asked quietly.

Narcissa nodded again.

"You've been lying to me my whole life..." he muttered, his eyes darting everywhere. "Sorry dear, I didn't catch that. What did you say?"

Draco stood up from his seat and slammed his hands on the table. "You've been lying to my my whole life!" he repeated, louder this time.

Narcissa didn't looked startled whatsoever. Hermione figured that this was the reaction she expected.

"What's all of this noise?" Lucius asked, walking into the room. Draco tensed up as he turned around slowly to face his father, taking in a deep breath.

"I'm not pureblood, i'm half-blood." he said. Lucius raised his eyebrow and looked past Draco to look at Narcissa. "You told him?" he questioned.

Narcissa simply took a sip of her tea and nodded, "He wouldn't shut up about it so i figured it was about time he knew."

"It wasn't your call to make."
"Too late."

"You know what we have to do now, Narcissa." said Lucius.
The woman sighed, "Yes."

Draco looked between his parents. "What are you going to do?" he asked uncertainly.

Lucius remained silent as he got his wand out and raised it into the air.
"Oblivi-"
"Expelliarmus!"

Hermione ran into the room and disarmed Lucius, leaving the Malfoys staring at her in shock.

"Don't touch Draco and don't you dare try to remove his memories. Can't you see he isn't stable?" Hermione questioned, gesturing to him.

"Don't try me, you mudblood." Lucius sneered. "Accio wand." he said, the wand flying into his open hand.

"Now, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?"
"How about not at all?"
"Wha-"