10. Stop Freaking Out

Gale rushed into the nearest bathroom downstairs, closed the door and made it to the bowl just before he threw up, his stomach emptying everything from the last few hours. He retched until it was nothing but dry heaves, and he flashed the toilet before leaning back against the wall.

"Shit," he cursed, pressing the back of his hand to his lips.

His head felt light, and he could feel the beginnings of a headache. He was feeling dizzy, and putting one hand out to the wall, he pushed himself up and went to the sink.

He rinsed out his mouth, washed his face and mindlessly drank some water.

Standing, he could now feel the glare of the overhead light, and he shut his eyes with a grimace.

Which made his growing headache stand out more.

He didn't want to think about it.

Which sucked, since it was the only thing on his mind.

Him kissing Matt, him getting a hard on.

What the fuck?

Why did he even think that dare was a good idea? He didn't actually do it because he was afraid of being branded a chicken, did he? Who even cared about being called a chicken? It was a stupid game, he could have walked out of the room and continued partying like nothing had happened.

But no, he had gladly taken the bait, and now nothing would be the same.

He had wanted to do it.

He cursed again, banging his head against the heel of his palm.

What a fool.

Suddenly, there was knocking on the bathroom door, and he straightened up. He rubbed at his eyes, and pulled his shirt to straighten it.

A bit comforted that nothing was poking at the front of his jeans, he went to open the door and leave, his free hand combing back his hair.

He opened the door and froze.

On the other side stood Matt, fingers clawing through his hair too, looking agitated.

Their eyes met, and Gale wished he was still feeling stupidly drunk, since that could have made the situation easier to deal with.

Now he just wished there was somewhere he could hide... And stay there.

"Hey," Matt said, his dark eyes searching his.

Gale had no idea what to say. What could he say?

Hey?

Matt pushed past him and shut the door.

Gale stood rigid, by the door, as the other guy moved into the bathroom. Gale considered just leaving, but figured the elephant in the room was best dealt with as soon as possible.

Dealt with and forgotten about.

"It's not a big deal, stop freaking out," Matt said, each word smooth and firm and nothing Gale had expected to hear.

He had just kissed the guy, and it was not a big deal? He could live with that.

Only it was a big deal.

Sometimes he hated how calm Matt was. The world could be ending and the boy would still find something to smile about.

"I'm not freaking out," Gale said, each word a lie that burned his tongue. And now they flowed, one after the other. "It was a dare, I'm drunk. You were drunk. It was stupid, a mistake."

Yes, that. A mistake.

Somehow, he was able to hold Matt's gaze as he spewed one lie after the other.

Matt nodded. "Of course."

Gale licked his now dry lips. "It meant nothing."

Even though Matt nodded again, he didn't look convinced.

Maybe he is thinking about my... Ah, erection? Gale thought, overcome by a bout of paranoia.

"I mean, I'm not gay," Gale blabbed further.

"Okay," Matt agreed.

Had he made things worse? It hurt Gale's head just thinking about it, so he decided to close the topic with a; "Let's forget about it, cool?"

Matt put his hands in his jeans pockets and rocked back on the heels of his sneakers. His tongue poked out, slid across his bottom lip.

Gale caught the movement and went still.

"Cool," Matt said, his eyes raking him through.

Gale shivered involuntarily.

No, not cool at all.

Gale cleared his throat and poked his thumb back towards the door. "So... Ah, you want to leave now?"

Matt nodded. "Yeah, sure."

"Okay." Gale said. "But uh... I'll have to look for someone who's not drunk to drive us..." He trailed off, realising with relief that they wouldn't be alone in the truck.

Matt shoved his bang back and took a step forward. He stared at Gale all the way, his dark eyes unwavering. He moved towards the door, closer to Gale.

Then he stopped.

"I'm not drunk, Gale." He said. "I'll drive."

Gale frowned as he tried to decipher the meaning of that. The meaning of Matt not being drunk.

Matt opened the door. "Come on," he said, leaving the bathroom and disappearing into the hallway.

Gale was breathless for several seconds as everything sank in.

What the fuck did he mean that he wasn't drunk?

Gale had found immeasurable comfort in that their kiss could be written off as a drunken mistake, and now he was saying he wasn't drunk?

What the hell?

What did that mean?

It sure meant that he no longer wanted to be stuck in the truck with Matt, but he didn't really have any other option.

He wasn't drunk? Why did he kiss him? What did he think of him, now?

He fell back against the door, his hands dragging down his face. He banged his head against the wood several times.

Then decided killing his few functioning brain cells wouldn't help matters, and straightened.

It was time to face the demons he had created himself.

Heart in mouth, he made his way out of the house and down the street where he had parked his truck.

☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞

Hi there!

I hope you enjoyed the chapter... If not...please drop a comment and tell me why and how I can improve.

What do you think about each of the boys' reactions?

Changing the title from 'Crossed' to 'My Bestfriend's Boyfriend' for various reasons.