30. Give It A Try

Evan walked into the boys' locker room and stopped short on catching sight of Matt, one leg up on a bench as he fixed his shin guard.

"Dude, what are you doing here?" He asked, moving past some of the other guys and standing beside him.

Matt looked up at him, his bang flopping into his face. "Practice?" He answered, raising an eyebrow.

Evan shook his head and gave him a once over. "No, hell no. Have you been cleared? Are you completely fine?"

"And dandy," Matt said, bringing his foot to the ground. He jogged a bit on the spot and gave Evan a mock shin kick on his hips. "See?"

Evan groaned and pushed a hand through his dark hair. "Does coach know about this? Does...wait." He turned his head and yelled into the room. "ANDERSON!!"

Matt flinched back in surprise while someone smacked Evan upside the head.

Gale came around from one of the blocks of lockers, shirtless with his training vest in his hand. "Right here, honey. What you want?" He said sarcastically, fitting his hands into the clothe then looked up.

And caught sight of Matt behind Evan.

There was a moment where his heart skipped a beat -with the rate it had been doing that of late Gale wasn't sure it was healthy. And another where his breath caught in his throat, and another where Friday night flashed through his mind.

It wasn't like he hadn't seen the guy all day. Hell, they had even sat together during lunch, courtesy of Emily's reconciliation programme.

But every time he saw him the effect was the same.

His eyes flew back to Evan, because it was impossible for him to hold Matt's gaze with the ever increasing number of butterflies in his stomach.

"Spencer here thinks he's well enough to go through hundreds of suicides and laps and press ups," Evan said, crossing his arms across his chest and widening his stance. "What do you think, Captain?"

"I'm fine," Matt defended, kicking his leg out.

Evan rolled his eyes. "I'm pretty sure none of us wants you to go out there with a barely healed injury then end up getting another one which might compromise you further."

"Doc said I could play," Matt lied through his teeth.

But he was fine, he had gotten the cast off like three weeks ago, he was steady on his feet, so why the hell did everyone want him to wait longer?

"Where's his letter that says so?" Gale asked, finally bringing up the captain in him.

Matt groaned and turned away, putting his other foot up and tying his laces. "I'm not discussing this with you guys, unless you are the coach."

He missed football, he missed being on the pitch, he missed being so tired he could barely think.

A hand landed on his shoulder and he was turned around to come face to face with Gale. Who was still half naked, his vest stuck around his wrists. Matt's eyes involuntarily dropped to his bare torso and abdomen, caressing over the visible abs before lifting back up to Gale's face.

Gale gulped, his eyes widening fractionally as he caught Matt's upraising look. Then there was the fact that the guy couldn't make it like any other normal look, instead boring into Gale with such an intense look he thought he might melt.

Which was why, blame the hormonal teenage boy that he was, he got excited and had to fight the urge to put on his vest because at that point it was all that was hiding the evidence of Matt's effect on him.