42. Neither Together Nor Happy

Ten days later, there was knocking on Gale's door at six in the morning, and he groaned as he blinked his sleepy eyes at his alarm clock.

Twenty past six.

Why would his mother be on his door so early?

But the voice that sounded from the other side wasn't his mother's.

"Gale? Open up!"

Emily.

What was Emily doing at his door?

They weren't back to talking, at least not much. She would say good night through her window every night, and hi anytime their paths crossed in the neighbourhood, which was rare since he mostly kept indoors when he wasn't away at Evan's or Scott's. He had actually delayed moving into the other room because he realised that no matter how much more spacy it was, he didn't want to move away from the window connection that he had with Emily.

Anyway, other than those two short greetings, there wasn't much said between them. So as he hurriedly left his bed and went to open his door, he was confused.

When he pulled the door open, Emily burst in, her hair wild and in a pair of tights and an oversized sweatshirt. He shut the door and turned to her, still blinking sleepily. "Em?"

"I can't do this anymore, I need my best friend back," she said. "I was hurt, but now I'm over it, he kissed you way before he asked me out anyway."

Gale's brain was still half asleep, and he couldn't stop blinking.

What...

"Em?" He called again.

Was she forgiving him?

"Yeah?"

He swallowed. "I'm sorry, I know I don't even deserve your forgiveness, but I'm sorry, I--"

"We all deserve forgiveness, Gale, and I forgive you. We all make mistakes."

He blinked again and nodded. "Okay."

"But that's not why I came here so early," she added, now frowning.

"What?"

She laughed. "You were never a morning person."

Gale shoved his fingers in his hair. Was he dreaming? "Uh, yeah, lemme pop into the bathroom for a sec, yeah?"

Emil nodded and Gale left his room. When he came back having washed his face and fully awake, she was seated on his bed like it was the good old times.

"Awake now?" She asked, smiling.

"Yeah," he replied and sat at the bottom of the bed.

"So, I want to know why I didn't know Matt was leaving. Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed and looked at the floor. "I didn't know how to... He never told you?"

She shook her head. "Yesterday I was out with Lou at the mall and we ran into Evan, he decided to tag along, which to me seemed sort of premeditated because... I'm going off track here. So anyway Evan mentioned it, and I texted Matt about it and he confirmed."

Gale nodded and said nothing.

He hadn't cried in almost a week.

If he can so easily leave me behind, he doesn't deserve my tears, that was his mantra.

However he knew it was only a matter of days before he was crying in the shower and pretending it wasn't tears.

"Then what was the use, what was the point of hurting me if he was going to hurt you too?" Emily asked, her voice low.