18. Hannah

The next day, Gale was surprised to find that he couldn't stop looking at the time, counting the hours until it was three pm and they could all go to see Matt.

He wasn't sure whether it was due to excitement, or anxiety.

Maybe he should stop thinking about things too much, Matt obviously didn't.

Only it wasn't a matter of thoughts now was it?

Because every time he thought about it, strange feelings he had never had, definitely not towards a fellow boy, seemed to overwhelm him.

Thoughts you could block out, but the same couldn't be said for feelings.

"What are you bringing Matt?" Emily asked as she caught up with him later that evening, at the front of the school.

His brow furrowed in thought. "Uh, nothing?"

Should he take something?

Emily gave him an incredulous stare. "What do you mean nothing? You have to get him something, Gale."

"Like what? Flowers?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, you can get that too."

"Oh please."

"Get him something he likes."

"The only thing I know Matt likes is football. Maybe you would know something else? What are you getting him?"

"A card. And flowers."

Gale laughed.

Emily glared at him. "What."

"I thought you had something else that wasn't so obvious," he replied.

"Well at least I have something," she said.

"And I'll find something," he said, his brows perking up.

Jude and Jared from the team came towards them. "We can go now," Jude told Gale.

The two were carpooling with Emily and Gale to the hospital. Several others had already left.

"Let's go," Gale said, leading the way to his truck.

When they got there, Matt's hospital room was already full of rowdy boys. And when they got around to actually see him through the throng, Emily discovered there was hardly any white space left on his two very expansive casts, now covered with the boys' writings.

"Hopefully the Harley isn't out of commission?" Evan, the goalkeeper, was asking. "I hadn't gotten round to taking it for a ride."

"I don't think Mum will allow me to get back on it ever again," Matt said with a chuckle. He was sitting in an elevated position, with a dozen boys covering his bedsides.

Gale stood by the door, happy enough to stay a little far.

"When will you be able to play again?" Scott asked.

Kellan chuckled. "Glad he ain't gon be benching you now, Scotty?"

Scott glowered at him. "Fuck off, dude."

"In two months, maybe?" Matt answered.

"Shit, that's hell," Scott muttered.

"At least you'll get all that special treatment," Trevor said. "Will you need to be showered?"

"Shit, don't tell me there is some hot nurse bathing you?" Evan rushed.

Matt's face flushed, and he held his good hand against his chest to contain his laughs. "Don't make me laugh, guys. My chest hurts."