t w o | s k y e

t w o | s k y e

g r a p h i c b y anastasia_sojo

  SKYE DOESN'T SLEEP well that night, and he can tell Lana doesn't either

SKYE DOESN'T SLEEP well that night, and he can tell Lana doesn't either. He doesn't expect her to with the gravity of the news that was placed upon her. As he stares restlessly at the lantern swaying with the ship's motion above them, trying to use it to lull himself to sleep, he hears her toss and turn every few minutes in the rickety cot. He glances over at her, seeing only her back as she curls up, facing the wall.

At first, he was confused by her. The thought of willingly helping people like Drax is sickening to him, and to see no visible forms of restraint on her small body beside the small iron cuff on her arm that he guesses blocks her magic o, he was appalled. Then, when he saw the haunted look that darkened her honey-brown eyes, Skye began to understand that there are other ways to be restrained.

On top of that, he is again hit with the reality they were all forced to face last night. Although it was exciting to find a lost Dragon Rider, it became tainted with a bitter tang as Arlo and him began to realize their destination: Drax is sailing them to the Morai.

It's a place Skye knows they won't survive, and he watched as the very small shred of hope on Lana's expressive face died as Arlo explained it to her. She'd fallen very silent after that, Arlo and Skye quickly deciding to call it a night. Even then, he doesn't think any of them stopped thinking about it, and now he still feels wide awake.

The relative quiet inside their cell is abruptly shattered as the door slams open. Skye bolts upright at the sound, still sitting as he glares at the newcomer, but he notices Lana scramble to her feet. She stands rigid at the edge of the cot, her eyes glued downward and her body shaking. Arlo grabs Skye's arm, pulling him upwards to follow her example, but as he stands he can't help the wave of vertigo that makes him stumble. The world around Skye spins, his head throbbing from where Drax hit him the day before, and he stifles a groan.

He's experienced worse, but there's something about the ship that makes him feel as though he's toeing a fine line, and the slightest slip up will land him in a new world of pain. He can't afford to think irrationally, especially now. His mind needs to remain sharp to survive this horrible situation he and Arlo have landed themselves in, and possibly form an escape plan. Resolve floods through him and he drives his nails into his skin.

The burly guard who opened the door marches his way towards Arlo and grabs his arm roughly. Skye's hands curl into fists, determined to do everything in his power to stop the guard, but beside him, Lana grabs Skye's wrist with a look that sends him a silent warning. He bites his lip but heeds her advice and forces himself to stop. He's not eager to be knocked down again.

The guard pulls Arlo roughly out of the cell, a cruel smirk on the brute's face as he grips Skye's uncle with an unnecessary amount of force, causing him to wince slightly. Skye struggles to stay where he is, desperately aching to fight back against the cruel guard, his instinct to attack being held back solely by Lana's hand around his wrist and the knowledge of the consequences that would befall him if he did anything. As the guard roughly pushes Arlo through the gate, causing him to stumble, Skye finds himself pulling out of Lana's grip, although he doesn't know what he's going to do about it. He can't use his magic because of the chains and the guard looks like he could toss Skye halfway across the ship with one hand and not break a sweat. Overall, not the best odds.