t h i r t y - o n e | l a n a

EVERYTHING IS FADING away. The whole moment, everything Lana has ever experienced with Skye, draining away in an instant like sand through an hourglass. Every memory. Every smile, laugh, temper tantrum.

Gone.

She cries out, the pain in her head sending agony throughout her entire body. She can do nothing to escape the grip of her captives. She can't even see where they're taking her. The pain causes her limbs to freeze, the energy sucked out of her being, and her vision to fade. She feels as if the world is ending.

"Lana!"

She looks up and dimly sees her mother running towards her. The tall grasses that surround her house were once comforting. On a lazy day they would wave back and forth, a perfect hiding place when playing with...she can't remember anymore. Now the grasses are terrifying, full of hidden memories, and only conceal Lana's mother from sight.

The man holding her suddenly grips her hard, and runs even faster. Lana cries out and tears fall from her eyes. The pain in her head may have lessened, but she's so scared. More terrified than she'd ever been before in her life. She doesn't know who these men are, or where they're taking her. And her mother is still running after her, Lana's only hope, yet she's only getting further and further away.

"Mommy!" Lana yells and she tries beating on the back of the man who holds her, but nothing changes.

One of the strange men stops and draws his sword, breaking away from the group. He raises his weapon, and Lana's mother tries to run around him, but he swings in her direction. She summons her magic, deep purple in color, throwing a ball of energy towards him.

She's fading away from Lana, disappearing within the tall grasses, still locked in battle. "Mommy!"

Lana sees her mom's face one last time, their gaze meeting for only a second. "I will find you!"

Then the grass shrouds her from Lana's sight, and she is alone and afraid, helpless to the men who are leading her to her new life.

With a gasp, Lana bolts upright.

I will find you.

The words are seared into her mind. It's like a mantra that's being chanted over and over again.

Her mother is out there searching for her...she has family. Actual flesh and blood. Someone who raised her, saw her first steps, and loved her unconditionally. The thought exhilarates her, and for a second she let herself fantasize of the idea of living in a stable home with her mother. No danger, fear, or pain. Just...bliss.

Then she notices her surroundings.

Lana's new environment shocks her as if she's suddenly been doused in cold water and left to deal with the shock. She's no longer in the cave, but in a small tent. It's tan in color, and it's light color combined with it's thin fabric allows sunlight to shine through slightly, giving a comforting glow. The wind batters against the tent slightly, and from the outside she can hear the telltale sounds of an upcoming battle. Metal clashing upon metal in a duel, hushed voices of warriors discussing last minute conversations, and restless dragons sharpening their claws and flying about.