III

Isn't it infuriating how corrupted human beings are?

How justice fails to prevail?

What if you had the chance to enforce "justice" as you see fit?

I've been watching you, Mikami Teru. Your sense of justice, the most admirable one I've seen in a while, has earned you a choice. A gift. A curse. Or perhaps even a chance to change everything. Just like the choice, you get to decide how it affects your life.

In the box you will find a book, the Death Note. Write a name, picture the person's appearance in your mind, and that person shall mysteriously die of a heart attack. This must sound silly to you, but I implore you Teru, give it a shot. Then you'll see...that this letter isn't a silly joke.

I've given you what you've always wished for. The opportunity to truly judge others. Delete all that stands in your path. All I ask in return is justice. I assume that once you've seen how real my powers are, you will accept my request. Then once you begin delivering justice, you will receive the moniker of Kira. Use it as you see fit.

Soon, one of my allies, a Shinigami will appear and explain the finer details. Give him some apples.

Yours truly,

God.

Mikami Teru narrowed his eyes.

He was convinced that the letter was a sick prank, but...he was hesitating. The person who wrote this letter sounded so sure of himself, enough that Teru had thought for a split second that maybe just maybe it was real. That God had really been watching him all these years and that finally God had actually decide to help him.

Contemplating the pros and cons of testing out the Death Note, to prove whether or not the letter was a prank, Mikami decided that it wouldn't hurt to just write down a name.

He didn't know that the moment he touched the Death Note, his life would change forever.

:::

As the last bell of the day rang, Light Yagami casually made her way to a coffee shop near her future school's college. She had stumbled upon the place a few days ago, around the time Kira began his or her murdering spree. Well, she hadn't exactly stumbled upon it, more like she had sought it out because she had nothing better to do.

With Kira around to keep people occupied, along with the fact that she couldn't care less that someone else took the original Light's job, she had to find other means to entertain herself.

Besides, she had mild sweet tooth, unlike the original Light.

The coffee shop just happened to have some amazing cake.

"Ah, Light-san! The usual?" The clerk immediately greeted her the moment she set foot in the shop.

Light smiled at the part-timer, ignoring how the young girl slightly blushed.