IV

'What the hell am I doing?' Light wondered to herself as she stood in front a door. Next to the door stood a sign that read "Task Force Headquarters Serial Murder" and behind the door, a meeting was about to take place at any moment.

A meeting revolving Kira.

A meeting which Light had no business putting her nose in despite the small part of her that felt entitled to know more about the Kira who took over her original counterpart's role.

But...

Her brown eyes glanced down to the plastic bag she was holding. She had been tasked by her mother to deliver her father his lunch so the latter wouldn't forget to eat and starve himself. Those were literally the words her mother used.

Of course Light knew she could just turn back. Her mother wouldn't find out that she didn't deliver the bento. But then Sachiko Yagami's worried eyes flashed into her head.

Light straightened up and held her chin up. After exhaling a resigned sigh, she entered the room with a stoic face.

She paused for a moment, feeling slightly awkward despite having interacted with most of the officers in the room. In fact she was on a friendly term with almost all of them, but the atmosphere was tense. Don't get her wrong, she was used enough to tense situations that her body didn't go frigid. She just wasn't used to not having a rank.

"Light-san?"

Light glanced at Matsuda who believe it or not, seemed more out of place than she did. Then again the twenty-five year old didn't have as much experience as an officer, yet he was already part of a hard case like the Kira one, so in reality Light actually admired him a bit for his dedication. So, her face softened a little catching the man by surprise judging by how his eyes widened.

"Good afternoon Matsuda," she greeted and then nodded at everyone else. 

"Where's the Chief?" Light wasn't stupid, she knew that in this room her father wasn't her father first. He was the Chief. Then her father.

"He should be here soon." Hideki Ide spoke up. "Here to wiggle your way into this case like all the other ones?" He asked, a slightly exasperated look on his face as he remembered about other cases that the teen has helped them with.

Light politely smiled, but before she could answer Aizawa spoke up. "This isn't the same as all the other cases you've helped with Light, so you should mind your own business this time and leave it to us." 

He had a stern look, but his eyes spoke of concern. Light knew that Aizawa disapproved of her working on cases from time to time due to the latter thinking that Light's still young and shouldn't neglect to enjoy her life just to work on cases.

Someone else spoke up, "Oh come on Aizawa, that same excuse hasn't stopped her before. It probably won't now."

"I wouldn't even be surprised if she already has a lead, right Light?" Mogi, who rarely ever speaks, asked with a hint of hope in his tone.

"I'm flattered that you think so highly of me Mogi-san," Light said before anyone could speak up.

 "But I'm afraid my help won't be needed considering L is working on the Kira case as well."

As usual no one could tell what she was thinking when she pronounced the detective's name. In fact some officers even shared awkward glances while others fidgeted.

 Generally, they were all fond of their Chief's daughter. But when it came to L, the girl always has this weird aura around her. As if she knew something about the detective that they didn't.