Chapter 5- Marcus

I walked to class in a daze, the only thing on my mind was her.

    I can't stop thinking about her. I wish I would have asked her what her schedule was, I hope we have more classes together.

    The halls were empty everyone was already in class. I could skip, but I would hate for Coach to find out, he'll make me run laps until my legs give out.

    I walked into my history class, closing the door as quietly as possible, I tried to slip to my desk next to Sam in the back of my classroom. Mrs. Stanfield had her back to the door when I walked in, so I tried to get to my desk as quietly as possible in hopes that she wouldn't see me.

    I sighed. Good, she didn't see me.

    "Dude, where were you? I thought you ditched," Sam whispered, leaning over the side of his desk.

    "I was helping the new girl find her class," I whispered back.

    Sam's eyes got wide. "You saw her?" he asked, amazed.

    "Mr. Garret, it's nice of you to finally join us. I would appreciate if you and Mr. Michaels could save your conversation until after class," Mrs. Stanfield said without turning away from the board.

    "Sorry, Mrs. Stanfield," I apologized.

    Sam pulled his phone out of his pocket. I watched him type something, and then a felt a light vibration in my pocket. I made sure Mrs. Stanfield wasn't looking before I slipped my phone out of my pocket. A new message from Sam lit up my screen.

    Was she hot?

    Very.

    I replied. She's more than hot, she's breathtaking.

    Siiiick. Is she really the governor's daughter?

    Sam sent back. I rolled my eyes. Rumors really spread fast around here. I've heard so many different things about Nia, and none of them are even close to the truth. She's the governor's daughter, her dad's a professional basketball player, she's a supermodel. All lies.

    No, she transferred from Jefferson Heights.

    I left out the part about her being on scholarship. It's not my place to tell people how she got here, it's nothing she should be ashamed of, but it's also something she might not want everyone to know. And I know if I tell Sam, he'll tell Nick, and Nick will tell Crystal, and Crystal will tell whoever will listen, and before you know it the entire school will know.

    Does she have a boyfriend?

    I replied honestly.

    I don't know.

    Sweet, so she's free to be my prom date then.

    No!

    I wanted to scream, but I didn't. I just said,

    Cool.

    I put my phone away after that, not wanting to talk to him anymore. I spent the rest of the period figuring out how I could keep Sam away from Nia. I can't call dibs on her, like she's a toy or something, but I want to. I don't want her to date Sam.

    Sam's my best friend, and he's a great guy. Any girl would be lucky to have him. I just don't want Nia to be that girl.

    I want to date her. I want to hold her hand, and kiss her, and talk about books with her.

    But how am I going to do that?

    "So when are you going to introduce me?" Sam said as we walked out of class.