Chapter 23- Nia

"Sam can we please take a break?" Sam and I had been studying for what felt like forever, and if I have to solve one more equation I'm going to scream.

"But we only have a few more problems left," Sam said next to me.

We sat a table  in a secluded corner of East Chapel's library. This was quickly becoming one of my favorite places in the school, over the past few days I've found myself making excuses to leave study hall to come here instead.

"Please," I pouted doing my best attempt at the E.J puppy dog eyes.

"Okay, " he sighed, giving in. "I guess we can stop for a few minutes." He set his own and calculator to the side.

"Thanks again for helping me," I said to him.

"Don't worry about it," Sam replied. He reminded me of a big teddy bear, from his fluffy brown hair and his his bushy eyebrows. Unlike Nick and Marcus, he didn't have the same athletic build as Nick and Marcus, he was much skinnier. I'd noticed he was also pretty clumsy. He ran into a table and chairs when we first came in.

I suggested, "You should think about becoming a teacher."

Sam chuckled. "I don't think so. I'm going into engineering."

"That's too bad." Sam would make an amazing teacher, he's patient and kind, and he breaks down the material in a way that's easy to understand. I'm far from mastering trigonometry, but in the short time I've worked with Sam I'm starting to understand it a little more. "You'd be great at it."

"Thank you." He smiled. Sam yawned, stretching his arm over the back of my chair.

And I don't exactly know when or how the lines got confused but suddenly Sam leaned forward and tried to place his lips on mine.

Before he could kiss me I turned my head to the side causing his lips to graze my cheek. He pulled back abruptly.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized his face had turned bright red. "I just thought--I thought we were--I don't..." His spluttering only made the situation more awkward, and instead of being angry I just started to feel bad for him.

"I'm sorry if I was sending you mixed signals Sam." I hadn't meant to seem flirty--at all. Maybe I should be more careful with the compliments I give."But I don't like you that way."

"Oh," he said embarrassed. "Well, is it someone else? " He asked his face still red.

"Well, there is someone I like," I replied hesitantly.

"Who is it?" I don't think now is the best time to tell him I have feelings for his best friend.

" I won't tell anyone," said Sam.

Ultimately I gave in. "You have to promise you won't get mad at me."

"I won't." He raised his left hand. "Scouts honor."

Taking a deep breath, I said, "It's Marcus."

Sam looked at me speechless his eyes wide.

"Are you mad?" I asked biting my lip nervously.

"No, it's fine." He gave me a tight smile. "I should have known."

"How?" I asked curious.

"Because it's alway Nick or Marcus," he explained. "It wasn't as bad when he was still with Whitney, but now that he's single, every girl wants a chance."

Oh. I should have figured that there would be a lot of girls with their eyes on Marcus, but it's something that I had tried to ignore. But fuck, every girl.