nine

ASH WAS staying at Richie's house again. Not that was it was any fun as it had been. Richie had been silent since the rock war, just giving a short, "Whatever." when Ash had asked if she could stay again.

She was sitting on the couch, watching him smoke.

He took another drag, blowing out the smoke, and the gray vapor slowly melted into a faint mist, and Ash hesitantly said, "Is your forehead okay? I saw Bowers hit it pretty hard."

"It's fine." Richie said flatly, not looking at her.

Ash swallowed, casting her gaze around the room and tried to keep her voice steady. "That's good."

"Yep." He replied, still not looking at her, and Ash closed her eyes briefly before trying yet again at attempting conversation.

"So what's the deal for tomorrow?"

"No idea."

His sentence was short as he blew yet another cloud of smoke into the air, and Ash closed her eyes, trying very hard to keep her calm; because she knew for a fact Bill had told him what they were doing while Eddie had been talking to her.

"Does it have something to with the Fourth of July?"

He grunted, using that same expressionless tone, "Probably."

Ash's blood was boiling and she stood from the couch and walked over to where he was sitting, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

"Tozier, what the hell is going on with you?" She snapped, and he didn't look up.

"Nothing."

She stood, glaring down at him. "Look at me."

He didn't answer, and she before she knew what she was doing she had slapped the cigarette out of his mouth.

This time he did look at her, his head snapping up. "What the fuck!?"

"Why are you acting like a dick!? One second you're telling me secrets and laughing with me, and the next you're acting like I murdered your best friend!" Ash said, and Richie sprang to his feet, jabbing a finger into her chest.

"If you weren't so hot-headed all the goddamn time, maybe you could figure it out!" He exclaimed. "You have no idea what the rest of them call us behind our backs, do you!?"

She paused, her brow creasing in confusion. "What?"

"They call us 'The Asshole Duo'. It's our title because we're always fighting and making snarky comments about each other and about everyone!" Richie snapped.

Ash considered it for a second. "Hah. I kind of like it."

Richie swore. "Of course you do."

"Aw, come on Rich." She looked at him sympathetically. "Tell me what's up."

Richie looked up at her, her dark brown eyes meeting his, concerned.

His hands were shaky, his palms were sweating, and he licked his lips nervously before opening his mouth.

He was going to do it, he was going to do it, he was going to tell her-

"Nothing's up. I'm just tired, that's all." He said, and she looked at him for a minute before saying, "Okay. Well, let's go to bed then. I feel like I could fall asleep standing up."

He nodded. "Couch again?"

She hesitated. "Is that okay?"

He smirked. "Baby, it's more than okay."