nineteen

a/n: SHIT SHIT SHIT

THE LOSERS were all sitting around in a circle, Ash sitting a safe distance away from Richie.

She had tried so hard to always be around people when he was with her so he wouldn't corner her about her fear.

Now, she was determinedly avoiding his gaze, pretending to be absolutely enthralled in what Bev was telling them all.

"I can only remember bits." Bev said, looking around at all her friends. "But I thought I was dead. That's what it felt like."

"Well, as I've never been dead I can't really imagine what that feels like." Ash spoke up, and Stan said, "Beep, beep Ash."

Her mouth fell open. "Hey, that's Tozier's—"

He cut across her. "You all are a duo, right?"

She glared at him, and saw Bill, Bev, and Ben all trying to hide smiles as she reluctantly nodded.

"The Asshole Duo?"

Stanley sounded like he was immensely enjoying this, and Ash nodded, her eyes narrowed.

"So, you're a package deal. The same phrases that apply to him now apply to you. Continue, Bev."

He turned back to Bev, who blinked at the abrupt change in subject before continuing, "I saw us. All of us, but we were older. Like our parents ages."

"W-w-what were we all doing there?" Bill asked, sounding puzzled, and Bev shook her head, a crease in her forehead.

"I just remember how we felt. How scared we all were. I don't think I can ever forget that."

She lapsed into silence, and they all caught each other's gazes, wondering what the actual fuck that could possibly mean because if they weren't good at even math, they sure as hell weren't going to be able to figure this out.

Or maybe that was just Ash.

Bill stood, taking a pocketknife from his pocket as he did so, and Ash glanced up.

"Swear." He said. "Swear if it isn't dead–"

He paused for a brief second, thinking of how to continue, and then finished, "If it ever comes back, we'll come back too."

Bev was the first to stand. "Swear."

She was followed hesitantly by Ash, Richie, Eddie, Mike, Ben, and finally Stan, who although didn't know it, would die 27 years in his very own bathroom, cuts slashed in X's all down his arms.

Bill looked down at his hand, and then raised it, cutting into it with his knife, and Ash winced.

"Why blood? Why is everything so dramatic with you?"

Bill shot her a look, and then went around the circle, cutting each of their hands with his knife.

When he got to Ash, she held out her hand and winced as the cold metal slit into her palm, and Richie, who had just been cut seconds before, gave her shoulder a squeeze.

Bill turned back to them, and slowly reached for Bev's hand, blood mixing with skin, and all around him, the Losers did the same.

Ash's fingers intertwined with Richie's, and on her left, Eddie's, who shot her a small smile.

They stayed that way, silent and comprehending the vow, until they dropped hands, Stan breaking the silence.