First Year, Part 4 (The Hogwarts Routine)

The Prefect led us out of the Great Hall, and up a long staircase. He then led us through sliding panels and hanging tapestries, and then we climbed more stairs. Finally, we all stopped in front of a large portrait of a fat woman all dressed all in pink silks.

"Password?" she asked.

"Wattlebird," the Prefect said. The portrait of the fat lady swung open to reveal a round hole in the wall.
We all scrambled through it. I was the last, as I had a little difficulty getting through it.

Inside was the Gryffindor common room. It was a round-shaped chamber, full of snug looking armchairs, and a blazing fireplace.

"Girls Dormitories are this way," the prefect said, pointing to the right where a there was a long staircase.

"Boys Dormitories are that way," The Prefect said, pointing toward the opposite direction.

I followed the other girls to the Girl's Dormitory. We went up the flight of stairs into a tower. We found five four-posters beds with dark red curtains hanging around each bed. All were made, with all of our belongings and trunks at the end of the beds. There were chairs at each bed that had Gryffindor school uniforms on them.

A few "Goodnights" were said, but other that no one talked very much. All the girls got into the beds and most fell asleep instantly.

I got into my bed, which was right in-between Lily's and some other girl, but I didn't know her name.

I lay there, letting the tears that I had been holding back for a while now come out. I had only been here for a day, and I felt hopeless and scared.
If anyone had been listening, they would've heard a few tiny sniffles, but that's it. I had learned to be a very quiet Cryer living with Aunt Cora.
It was a long time before I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning I awoke to the sound of something crashing to the floor. I sat up quickly, rubbing my eyes.
I looked around and tried to remember where I was for a second.

A raven-haired girl with round rosy cheeks was bent over a scattered pile of books and papers on the floor, picking each one up and placing them back in her trunk.

I looked around me. Everyone else must already be awake, for the girl and I were the only ones in the room.

I got out of my bed and walked over to where she was kneeling on the floor.
I bent down and helped her pick up the books. She didn't meet my gaze as I handed them to her.

"Thanks," she mumbled. I could see her hand shaking as she took the books from me.

"You're welcome," I said, smiling nervously. "What's your name?" I asked. I might as well TRY to make friends here, I thought to myself.

"Carry Arion." She replied in a small voice. "Uh, I have to go," she said, motioning to the door. She had barely said the last word before she was out the door and gone.
I sighed, feeling a stab of sadness go through me. Well, at least I tried.

I quickly dressed in my school uniform and went down to breakfast. I sat alone at the long table, eating breakfast quietly. I could see Frank with a group of First and Second years, who were all laughing and talking together. At one point Frank glanced over at me and smiled. He tried to get up and go to where I sat, but one of the boys motioned for him to stay, and he shrugged apologetically to me, sitting back down.

A few owls flew through the halls and dropped mail for some of the students.
Sirius Black received a howler from his mother. It went on and on about Sirius being a disgrace to the black name. I guess the Blacks were all supposed to be placed in Slytherin, not Gryffindor.