First Year, Part 16 (The Strong Resolution)

Aileen and Frank left for classes a few minutes later, Frank giving me a worried look. Aileen promised me before she left she would be back to tell me everything that had happened around Hogwarts while I was in a coma. What she meant was that she would tell me what happened after I blacked out.

"Poppy," I asked once Aileen and Frank had gone. "How long do you think I'll need to stay here for?"

"As soon as you feel well enough to go back to classes, dear," Madam Pomfrey answered, "I've never dealt with a case like this before, so I'm not sure exactly when that will be. You must gain your strength back and get meals in you before you're well enough to leave." She slid the curtains around my bed shut. "Now get some rest."

I resisted the urge to tell her I had been resting for two weeks, and that I needed no more rest, thank you very much. But, I did want to be alone.

I let the tears escape my eyes now that there was no one to see. We had failed. I had failed. I had been so sure that Sharem would be safe. That we had it all under control. I couldn't believe it. Just like that, he was gone. Forever. I would never see him again. I would never again get to play Wizarding Chess and have him beat me at it every time.

I brought my hands to my mouth to drown out the noises had started to make and saw that my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I bit down hard on my fist, trying to stop the uncontrollable sobbing that escaped me.

I didn't remember falling asleep, but I was awoken by a hand gently shaking me. I looked up to see Aileen standing over me, her finger to her lips that told me to be silent.

I sat up in surprise, causing a rush of dizziness to sweep over me.

It was dark around me and Madam Pomfrey was nowhere in sight. I figured it must be past curfew.

"Come with me," Aileen whispered, motioning for me to hurry and get up. She glanced around nervously as if expecting Madam Pomfrey to jump out any minute and yell at her for disturbing her patients.

I pushed off the covers and slowly stood, wobbling a little as I did so. My head spun and my legs shook. I felt weak and drained of all energy. I guess that's what happened to you when you hadn't moved in two weeks.

After I had gotten control of my limbs and didn't feel like I would land back on the bed any moment, Aileen and I tiptoed quietly out of the Hospital Wing , being careful not to wake any of the sleeping patients.

"Where are we going?" I asked once we were out, keeping my voice low in case Filch was around. The dimness of the hallways and the lack of students bustling about confirmed that it was past curfew.

"Somewhere we can talk about what happened without being heard," Aileen replied.

We came to a painting of an old night sleeping peacefully. Aileen stopped and pushed the picture to the side. Behind us, I heard a faint sound and turned around. The wall had opened to reveal a dimly lit passage. Aileen and I slipped in quietly, the entrance closing behind us with a slight creaking noise.

"You found another passageway?" I asked. "Where does it lead?"

"It's more of a room than a passageway," Aileen said, lighting her wand. She went around a bend and her wand revealed me a small room of sorts, with couches and chairs and a small fireplace that wasn't lit.

We sat down on two of the chairs and Aileen lit the fireplace with her wand.

I nibbled nervously on my fingernails, waiting for Aileen to speak.

"How much do you remember?" Aileen said after a moment.

"I remember everything," I said, "Up to the moment I passed out. What happened after I passed out? What happened to Sharem?" My voice caught on his name.