First Year, Part 23 (The Other Passageway)

When Aileen and I reached the corridor where the statue that hid the entrance to the passageway was located, we ran into a bit of a problem.

A group of students, second or third years, all stood talking to each other not ten feet away from the statue. There was no way we could open the secret entrance to the passageway without being noticed.

"I suppose we'll just have to wait until they leave," I continued to walk down the corridor. The group had spotted us heading their way, and it would seem strange if we just turned around and went the other way. "We can just pass by them, and then come back in a short while to see if they've gone yet."

"I've got a better idea," Aileen said quietly. "We'll just have to make them leave."

Before I could ask her what she meant, we reached the group of students, Slytherins, I noticed.

One of them, a short boy with blonde hair, turned to stare at me with a look of contempt as we passed by. My first reaction was to look down and avoid his disgusted gaze, but I forced myself to meet his gaze head-on. It's what Aileen would have done if someone was staring at her. She would have stared right back until they looked away uncomfortably. It always seemed to work for Aileen. Not for me, apparently. The boy continued to stare at me, and after only a few seconds, I couldn't take it anymore, looking down at my feet as we passed them.

Just as soon as we had passed by them, one of them spoke from behind us.

"Aileen, why are you walking with her?" It was a girl's voice, "A Gryffindor and a freak, no less."

I turned my head back to the group. They were all focused on us now. The girl who had spoken, a tall brown-haired witch who looked to be in second year, had her hands on her hips and a scowl sprawled across her face.

"I didn't realize it was any of your business who I chose to walk with, Jeslene," Aileen didn't turn around as she spoke. "If it bothers you that much, you can turn your eyes away."

"Of course it's her business," The blond boy who had been staring at me spoke up, "You're giving Slytherins a bad reputation hanging out with the likes of her."

"You don't need me to taint Slytherin's reputation. You guys do a fine job of that all on your own."

"Slytherins aren't friends with Gryffindors," The boy spoke lowly, his jaw clenching. "They're our enemies. You should know this by now."

"Really?" Aileen turned to the group finally, an expression of boredom written on her face. "Then why am I friends with one? It seems to me like you need to get your facts straightened out."

"It seems to me like the sorting hat made a mistake when it placed you in Slytherin," The tall girl shot back. "You don't belong here."

"Aileen, let's go," I said quietly, tugging on her arm. I didn't want this to turn into any fight. They outnumbered us five to two, plus they were older. Aileen didn't budge.

"I think we already had this discussion once before," Aileen replied. "If I my memory is correct, and it usually is, it did not end very well for you, did it? I think I already proved who's the better Slytherin here." With that, Aileen turned her back to the group. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have business to attend to."

The girl blushed, glaring at Aileen as the others gave her questioning looks. "You just caught me off guard. Try again and see what happens."

"I thought we were friends," The blond boy said.

Aileen stopped, turning around slowly to give him a look that spoke clearly how she felt about that. "Please, Pudge," Aileen laced her words with distaste, "Just because I tolerate you doesn't mean we're friends."