chapter 1 ⇝ pilot

(1

(1.01)

MACKENZIE JAMES WAS SITTING ON THE COUNTER OF KAREN'S CAFÈ, picking at the baby blue polish on her nails, when her best friend, Lucas Scott, walked in with a basketball underneath his arm.

"Mmm, it smells good in here." He hummed, landing himself right in front of the James girl.

"Hey, Luke." Mackenzie greeted, a smile tugging at her lips once the two's eyes met.

For as long as Mackenzie could remember she had had eyes for the Scott boy. She admired the way he cared for people and adored his humbleness. She loved how he was gentle with her and how he always made her feel like she was heard even when she was rambling about nonsense. She also adored his perfect smile and how blue his eyes were. However, the one thing she adored the most about him was the friendship she shared with him, so she vowed to herself to never tell him how she truly felt about him.

"Hey, Mack. Hey, mom." Lucas said.

"Hey, hon." Mackenzie's boss and owner of the café, Karen Roe, smiled from behind the counter.

"Did you change your hair?" Lucas asked his mom.

"If by 'change' you mean 'dragged a brush through it', then yeah." Karen quipped with a small chuckle.

"Well, it looks nice." Lucas complimented with a smile as he looks at his mother.

"Thank you." Karen said as she walked off to a table.

"So, who won?" Mackenzie asked, looking up at the blonde boy.

"My team." Lucas said with smile, which Mackenzie responded to with a playful eye roll.

"I don't know why I even asked." She laughed.

"The magazine pages are sticky again. Little pervs." Mackenzie's twin sister, Haley, said as she walked out the kitchen, flipping through a magazine.

Mackenzie and Haley were close as two sisters could be. They enjoyed doing almost everything together, working, tutoring, etc. The only difference they shared was Mackenzie was more spontaneous than Haley, and she tended to have a slight rebellious streak time to time.

"Hey, Luke. You been reading this?" Mackenzie asked, snatching the magazine from her sister's hands and holding it up to him.

"I don't know, Mackenzie. Is that the 'why do I hang out with these people?' issue, because you and Hales are on the cover of that, right?" Lucas said and Haley and Mackenzie share a look.