chapter 6 ⇝ every night is another story

(1

(1.06)

"HEY, STRANGER." Haley said as Lucas approached her and Mackenzie outside of the school. To be honest, Mackenzie wasn't really sure what was going on with her friendship with Lucas. The two hadn't talked much since their disagreement at the father son game.

"Hmm. No stranger than the two of you." Lucas teased before focusing his eyes on Mackenzie. "You look tired." He said to her.

"Well, every girl loves to hear that." The blonde said, running her fingers through her hair.

"My bad, I didn't mean to—" Mackenzie interrupted Lucas.

"I'm just kidding... I, uh, at the library late getting ready for midterms." She explained.

"Whose midterms yours or Nathan's?" Lucas asked.

"Both, actually."

"Well, good luck with that." Lucas said and Mackenzie frowned. The awkwardness was definitely starting to bother her.

"Luke. You're cool with this, right? I mean, last week, when you said--" Lucas cut Mackenzie off.

"I know. I didn't mean that. I just don't trust Nathan." He said, causing Mackenzie to sigh. She really wished that the two brothers would just talk to each other and realize their problem wasn't each other.

It was Dan.

"Hey, you got a second?" Peyton said to Lucas as she approached the group.

"Speaking of..." Haley trailed off as she grabbed her sister and the two walked off so Peyton could talk to Lucas privately.

"Mackenzie! Haley!" Nathan called out, causing the two sisters to stop and turn to him.

"Hey." The twins said in unison.

"That was freaky." Nathan said, causing them both to laugh. "You two coming to the game tonight?" He asked.

"Um... I don't know." Haley shrugged.

"You guys should come. We always beat the crap out of the Pickerington Hicks." Nathan said and Mackenzie raised an eyebrow.

"They're called the Hicks?" She asked.

"Well no. But they should be. The place is all pickup trucks and mulch." Nathan joked and the two sisters laughed again. "It's definitely worth the road trip. I'll be looking for you two." He said, his eyes lingering on Haley for a bit before walking away.

"What was that?" Mackenzie asked, turning to her sister.

"What was what?" Haley asked and Mackenzie shook her head. She found it funny how oblivious her sister could be at times.

"Nothing."

Mackenzie and Haley had decided to go to the game which didn't end too well. Nathan and Lucas had got into a fight and ended up getting kicked out. Mackenzie wasn't really sure about what since she wasn't in listening distance of the two but there was no doubt in her mind that it more than just basketball.