chapter 2 ⇝ the places you have come to fear the most

(1

(1.02)

"KAREN, YOU READY TO GO?" Keith Scott asked as he, Haley, and Mackenzie made their way to the doors of the café.

It was the night of Lucas' first game as a Raven and Mackenzie was nervous to say the least. She obviously had faith in Lucas and his abilities, but for some reason she still felt sick to her stomach about it.

"Oh, I'm not going." Karen said as she made her way from the kitchen. "I decided to stay open. I could use the business."

"You talk to Luke about this?" Keith asked.

"No, but he'll understand." Karen said, causing the two James sisters to share a look.

They knew for a fact that even if the three went, Lucas was going still going to be hurt that his own mom wasn't going to be there for his first real game.

"Karen--"

"She doesn't want to go." Mackenzie interrupted Keith. "She doesn't want to see her high school sweetheart slash your brother Dan slash the jerk who abandoned Lucas slash the father of Nathan, the team's star player slash my wrists if I hear this story again. Now let's go." She said, causing  Haley hit her on the arm. "What? I'm just stating the truth."

She didn't see the need in begging Karen to come when it was obvious she had made up her mind.

"I think you're making a mistake." Keith said, giving one last look to Karen, before the three left the café and made their way to the game.

The game was about to start as Haley, Keith, and Mackenzie were making their way up the bleachers of the school's gym when Dan Scott called out to his brother.

"Keith!" He yelled. "Hey, finally came to see your nephew play, huh, big brother?"

"Yeah. I guess you can say that." Keith replied.

"Girls." He greeted the twins.

"Mr. Scott." Haley said with a tight lip smile.

"Sperm donor." Mackenzie said with fake smile plastered on her face.

"Be nice." Haley warned, nudging her shoulder with her sister's as the buzzard signaled that the game was about to began.

"Whoops?"

"Hey." Mackenzie said as she and Keith walked into the café. Lucas' game was over and it couldn't have gone worse. Not only did he not score a single point, but Whitey had benched by half time.

"Is he okay?" Karen asked.

"Uh, don't know. He kinda took off after the game." The blonde answered.