chapter 5 ⇝ all that you can't leave behind

(1

(1.05)

IT HAD BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE MACKENZIE HAD LAST SEEN LUCAS. The blonde wasn't really happy with arrangement and wanted nothing more to tell Lucas the truth. But she also wasn't naïve and was well aware that her friend wouldn't understand why she had did what she had did.

So when Mackenzie walked in the café for her shift and saw Lucas, she quickly made a b line for the kitchen without uttering a word.

"Mackenzie, how long are we going to do this?" Lucas asked as he followed her into the kitchen.

"Do what?" Mackenzie asked as she put on her apron.

"Avoid each other." Lucas answered.

"You tell me. You're the one upset." Mackenzie said, shrugging her shoulders.

"And you're the one who lied to me." Lucas shot back, causing Lexie to sigh. The last thing she wanted to do was fight.

"I don't know what to say to you, Luke." She said.

"Just explain to me why you were with Nathan. Huh? I mean, considering the past few weeks and what he's done." Lucas said and Mackenzie shook her head.

"I can't."

"You know how I feel about him, Mack." Lucas said before turning to walk out the kitchen.

"Lucas, fine! Yes. I know how you feel about him. But there is something you don't know. I promised him I'd tutor him if he left you alone." Mackenzie explain and Lucas' face fell.

It was clear he wasn't expecting her explanation.

"What?" He asked.

"I'm doing it for you, Luke."

"I'm an idiot." Lucas said, take the seat across from Mackenzie.

It was the next day and Mackenzie was in the library. It was her free period so she had decided to go to the library to try and read so she could get her mind off everything that was happening with her and Lucas.

"I know." Mackenzie said, not looking up from the book she was reading.

"I'm sorry. I miss hanging out with you, Mackenzie." Lucas admitted, causing Mackenzie to look up at him.

"I miss hanging out with you too, Luke." She said.

"Listen. I appreciate everything you did for me. I do, Mackenzie, but how about you let me handle the team from now on, okay?" Lucas said and Mackenzie nodded.

"Okay." She agreed.

"All right. So you can... stop tutoring Nathan now." Lucas said and Mackenzie frowned.