Chapter eight

“Go fish bitch!”

I and everyone around the small table in Aiden and Mia’s kitchen groan as I reach over the bowl of chips that Kayla sat out and pick up a card from the middle pile. It’s getting smaller and smaller by the minute.

I put the four of clubs in with the rest of my deck and Mia looks at me, Kayla, and then Aiden, knowing that it was now her turn. So far she’s the only one who’s having the worst luck out of all of us. She obviously didn’t grow up playing the game.

“I have to do this…”

She closes her eyes a little, pulling her deck closer to her chest for protection. She’s asked the same thing every time it was her turn. Plus I think she thought if she brought her cards to her chest it would help her.

It didn’t.

After a few seconds pass she opens one eye and peers at Kayla wearily.

“Three of diamonds?” Kayla looks at her cards and turns defeated. So far she has been killing this game. Mia lets out her breath, thinking she finally one upped someone,  and brings her hand out to get the card when Kayla smirks, brings her hand up, and points to the stack of cards.

“Go fish bitch!”

We all groan again and Mia turns her hand that was out around and flicks Kayla the finger and draws a card from the middle. It’s also the same finger she gave me when I guessed a three of hearts. She gave Aiden two fingers when he guessed the five of spades.

We all look back to our cards as Aiden takes his turn. Okay, even I have to admit spending your Wednesday night playing cards because you don’t have classes the next day is pretty lame. Usually we would be out doing something more adventurous. Or I would be at the library finishing up some assignment.

But, when Mia heard what happened at the club, from Kayla’s always moving mouth, she declared we were going to have a girls' night.

Apparently we all needed it after the long week we had. The fact that some guy tried to have his way just added to needing the night.

Since Aiden seems to have no life, he walked in half way through our game and sat down next to Mia and said that he was in. I didn’t even bother complaining because honestly? It wasn’t like he was going to make the game any more exciting.

Two hours later, and about twenty five games of Go Fish, and you have my life right now.

At one point, Aiden even tried to teach us how to play Rommé, but the rules were too complicated and Kayla was taking too long to figure it out, so back to Go Fish it was.

And since then she has been kicking our asses.

Everyone turns toward Aiden, waiting for him to take his turn,  and just as suddenly he holds up his hands and smirks at Kayla. “I’m not as stupid as I look.” He taunts before turning to me. Did I look that gullible? There is no way he could figure out the cards I currently have.

He nods his head toward my deck,a  confident look on his face. “Four of Clubs?”

I throw the card at his face and he laughs as he picks it up and puts it in his own deck nice and slow. I glare at him the whole time he does it, hoping the card would somehow magically combust right then and there.

Dick.

“Oh no, it’s Kayla’s turn!” Shouts Mia and everyone gets quiet. If we all could, we would run outside and throw ourselves off the railing. Because my sister was totally kicking some major ass.