Preparing For The Move

For twelve years I lived in my fifth floor apartment, using every inch of the 750 square feet, which is huge by New York's standards.  Everything I needed was in walking distance and I could even walk to work if I had the hour to do it.  Usually I took the subway; once in awhile I'd flag a cab.  I had a driver's license but I never owned a car after I moved to the city from my parent's home in Westchester.  

After my partnership with Carl ended, and after the WTC disaster, I started making plans to leave the city. The law firm I was working for had a small satellite office Upstate and, ironically, one day a paralegal position became available there.  I applied for a transfer and it was granted.  Things seemed to happen so easily, I was surprised.  I felt very supported in my decision to change my life.

I began the search for a place to live, a small challenge.  The upstate newspaper is, in total, about 12 pages long, while the NY newspapers classified sections are 12 pages long!  There aren't as many places to pick from in a small town as there are in 500 square miles of New York.  I realized that I couldn't live in an upstate town without a car, so I'd have to figure that out too. 

My life was about to change dramatically.