Change Is Good

Change is good!  But moving is hard work!!!  Even so, I couldn't believe how easily this all came together!   I was coming up short on finding a place to rent; I had seen two places -- one hardly had plumbing and heating and the other was an in-law apartment in a house with a very active and unsophisticated family.  

I happened to run into Carl at the bakery one day and he (making "quotes" with his fingers as he spoke -- he always talked with his hands) "happened" to know someone who "happened" to be looking for a renter for their guest cottage on 50 acres.  I drove north, took one look at the place and said "Yes."  It's the second time I've experienced love at first sight!  Funny that Carl of all people would lead me there.  I knew it would be the right place for me. 

When you move you find out how much "stuff" you have accumulated since the last time you moved.  I gave a lot away to charity.  I only wanted the "necessities" .... Must life be full of so many necessities!!?   I could hardly fit them all into the moving van, which seemed just a little smaller than my entire apartment. 

Eventually I was on my way in my new used SUV, following the moving van through the slow-moving city streets.  I was full of mixed emotion -- driving for the first time in the city was just the beginning!  Talk about Living in the Moment!

How sentimental I was as I watched the city streets and skyscrapers fade into horizon behind me.   New York had been my home for a long time and I was going into unchartered territory.  Tears stung my eyes as I brought to mind a montage of memories.  I felt like I was leaving a part of myself behind.  I worried that maybe I wouldn't know who I was outside of my life in the city, I identified so much with it.  For the first time I started having second thoughts; I hoped I was doing the right thing.

Soon I got onto the highway and headed north.  The buildings became smaller and fewer and far-between.  The mountain peaks appeared before me in the distance.  I had no choice but to look ahead towards my new life.

The mountains are beautiful.  The little town is out of a storybook.  I take the final turn, the road to my new home.  

It's very beautiful here.