Shoulda been the Wookie

Immediately after Rory's announcement:

Lorelai blinked at her daughter.

"Rory, if this is some kind of joke, it might be   best to tell mommy before she has an aneurysm."

Rory looked down.  "Mom..."

"Oh god." Lorelai put a hand to her chest.  "Okay... Let's assess the situation here.  You're thirty-two years old... You can make your own decisions.  You've always made your own decisions, but now I can't pull the mom card.  So I guess that leaves... Oh god.  The father.  It's not the Wookie from New York, is it?"

"Mom! No! It's not the Wookie... That would have been awful... No, it's Logan."

Lorelai met her daughter's eyes.  "That's kind of worse, isn't it?"

Rory tried to think of some sort of quip, tried to make light of the situation.  Instead, she began to cry.  "Yeah... Yeah, it is."

Lorelai pulled Rory as close as possible.  "We'll make it through this.  We always do... We're the Gilmore Girls.  Nothing can break us."  She ran her fingers through her hair.  "Now, can I go beat up Logan? How did he react when you told him?  I mean, shouldn't he be here right now?"

"I haven't told him.  I don't think I'm going to tell him.  I mean, the idiot is getting married.   I vowed to stop being 'the other woman' after the whole Dean thing.  Besides, Logan wouldn't be a good father."

"You're probably right about that one.  But kid, you're going to have to tell him eventually.  It's his kid.  Look at what happened with Luke and April.  You can't do that... The kid might resent you for it later," Lorelai said softly.

Rory nodded absentmindedly.  "I'll tell him eventually."

"Good.  And for now, we can do this together.  Luke and I will make room for you, you can move back home for the remainder of your pregnancy."

"No," she said immediately.  "No.  You and Luke finally got married... I'm not messing that up.  I'm an adult, I need to do this on my own.  I made my decision and I'm moving to New York and working on the book." She saw how Lorelai's face fell and she softened.  "I'm not cutting you out of my life, mom.  God knows I probably won't survive that far away from you, but I need to try.  I'll still call every day and come to visit all the time.  I just need to be independent now.  I grew up watching how strong you were, and that's what I need to be for my kid.  What kind of mother would I be if I relied on other people for everything?"

Lorelai took a deep breath.  "Wow, sweetie.  I'm so proud of you.  You know that, right?"

"I know... You'd never let me forget," she laughed.

"Darn right." Lorelai gave a tight smile.  "So... When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow.  After the wedding.  I only have seven months left to get my life together, I'd better get started right away."

Lorelai could only nod.

Rory looked down the road towards Stars Hollow High.  "Can you believe I ever went there? It seems like a lifetime ago."

"It was a lifetime ago.  We're two totally different people since then.  I'm married, you're pregnant.  If you put us together, we're the type of woman we always used to make fun of.  You aren't going to become a soccer mom, are you?"

Rory smiled.  "Only if you become a housewife.  Ooh, can I call you Donna Reed now?"

"If you do, mommy will have to insist you leave right now."

"Fair enough.  Now come on... You have a wedding to get ready for."  Rory stood up and extended her hand.

"I'll meet you there."  Lorelai saw the look that Rory gave her and shook her head.  "I'm not running.  Technically, I'm already married.  I just need a minute."

"Alright... Don't get any funny ideas about skipping out on the wedding, though.  I think that grandma would actually kill you, this time."

"Ah yes, but the look on her face would be so much fun as she came at me with the knife." She quipped.  "I'll be there."

Rory nodded and began walking back to their house.  Lorelai watched her go as a single tear fell down her cheek.  "Why'd you have to do this, kid?" She whispered to herself.  "Why did it have to be Logan?"  She shook her head.  "Shoulda been the Wookie... It would've saved us all the heartache."