The "Oh" moment

Lorelai took a long time getting home after Rory left her.  When she finally did, she couldn't stand to go inside yet for fear of running into her daughter, so she just sat in the floor of the garage with the lights on.

"Lorelai? Lorelai!" She heard Luke call from the doorway. "Thank god," he sighed. Relief swept over him that she hadn't run away or something. "What are you doing out here?" He carefully sat beside her. She continued to stare straight ahead.

He looked down. "Okay, tell me one thing... Is this about us eloping? Because I thought that you wanted that."

"Rory's pregnant," she blurted out. He froze.

"I'll kill him. I don't care who he is, I'll kill hi-- oh god, it wasn't Jess, was it?" Luke turned to her with fear in his eyes.

She shook her head. "No... Hell, I wish it was Jess because at least I know he cares for her. It was that punk Logan."

"I knew he was trouble! I swear to god, he's going to pay for this."

She shrugged. "He's got nothing to pay for because she's not even going to tell him."

That struck a nerve with Luke. "She can't just not tell him."

"She can if she wants to. I don't think it's a good idea, but she's an adult. She doesn't even want my help... She's moving to New York without me. I'll probably never meet my own grandchild... I'll be her Emily Gilmore." Lorelai wrapped her arms around herself as tears threatened to spill.

"Hey..." Luke said softly. "That won't happen. You're Rory's best friend... She wouldn't survive without you in her life. Just give her some time... I'll bet she's only trying this whole independence thing to be like you." He wrapped an arm around her.

"Some role model I've been," she scoffed. "Pregnant at sixteen. A myriad of disastrous relationships. Look at me, even you were afraid that I was going to run away from us getting married."

He shook his head. "Not because of anything you had done... I'm just so afraid of losing you because I've loved you for so long. Never thought I'd actually have you."

She leaned into him. "Well believe it, mister. You'd better be prepared, because now you're the only person in the world that I have and I'm a handful."

"Oh come on, Lorelai. I know how much work you are and I still married you. You can't scare me away at this point. And besides... I'm not the only person you have left."

"Yes you are. Sookie left, Michel is going to leave if I can't expand the Inn. I've lost Rory, my dad..."

"You always have your mother," he pointed out.

She put a hand to her chest. "Don't even joke about something that awful."

He smiled and kissed her head. "You're right, I'm sorry. But Lorelai, you don't realize how much this whole town loves you. I don't know how we ever got along before you showed up. You're the most annoyingly positive person I've ever met and you're stronger than anyone. God knows what you find attractive in me, but I'm thankful every day for it."

"I love you..." She whispered.

"I love you too.  Now come on, we have a wedding to get to in just a few hours.  Let's get some sleep."

"You know what I hear?" Lorelai said, perking up a bit.

"What?"

She kissed his neck softly.  "It's pretty easy to make one of those baby things.  How about we give it a try?"

He was stunned momentarily.  "Lorelai, you're just upset... You've made it pretty clear that you don't want another kid.  You said we're too old."

"So what?"

"So... We should talk about this.  Another time, when it isn't four in the morning."

She nodded.  "Right.  You're right."

"But..."

"But?"

"We could always practice... You know, just in case."

"I like the way you think, Mr. Danes."

////////////////////////////////////////////

At the wedding:

Lorelai paced back and forth. "Where is Rory? She promised that she wouldn't leave until after the wedding!"

"She'll be here. Jess isn't here yet either... Maybe there was traffic." Luke put a hand on her arm.

"Traffic? Between the gazebo and our house? I don't think so. Actually, I didn't even see her last night. Maybe she spent the night at Lane's..."

"See? That would be a good reason to not be here right now."

She nodded. "Okay... It'll all be okay..."

Emily Gilmore suddenly barged into the tent in which they were waiting. "This is a disaster! Lorelai, have you no class at all? It looks like Willy Wonka threw up on this park!"

Lorelai blinked. "Well of course, mom. My first love is and always will be those little orange Oompa Loompas. Since I can't marry them, I figured I'd marry Luke and just pretend."

Emily rolled her eyes. "Honestly, Lorelai, can you take nothing seriously?"

"Nope." Lorelai popped the 'p' and smiled.

Emily turned to Luke. "Why are you marrying her?"

"Blackmail," both Luke and Lorelai said at the same time as Emily rolled her eyes.

"A match made in heaven. Wait, where's Rory? I need to make sure her dress is alright. I paid good money for that dress, and I expect that your alterations will be tastefully done. Now if you'll excuse me..." She turned and left.

Lorelai turned to Luke. "The alterations were very tasteful... I returned the expensive dress and bought her something at the thrift store. Now we have honeymoon money," she grinned.

He shook his head. "You're insane."

"I know." Just then, they both spotted Rory through the opening of the tent, walking over from the direction of Luke's. She was wearing her blue bridesmaid dress.

"Wow, she looks beautiful," said Lorelai.

"Yeah, she really does." They continued to watch her. Just then, Jess comes bounding down the steps after her in a suit and tie. His smile was as wide as they had ever seen it when he caught up to her and, a split second later, pulled her in for a soft kiss.

Lorelai sucked in a sharp breath. "Oh..." She could tell that Luke was about to go intervene but she stopped him. "It's okay... It's good, actually. She looks happy. Doesn't she look happy?"

Luke nodded. "For what it's worth, I don't think he's ever stopped loving her. I've seen how he looks after talking to her... It's how I looked every time you came into my diner."

"Huh," Lorelai observed. "They're basically us."

"They really are. Funny how life works like that..."

Lorelai nodded. "For all his faults, I know that Jess has a good heart. He is related to you, after all. Do you think that he'll take care of her?"

"If she lets him? Of course. There isn't anything he wouldn't do for her."

"That's all I needed. Now come on, let's give them some privacy..." She took Luke's hand and led him out of the tent and towards the aisle that she would be walking down in a matter of minutes.