Some things never change

Jess and Rory pulled up in front of the Gilmore household.

"This shouldn't take long... My stuff is spread between here, Lane's, and my Grandma's house... Lane will ship the stuff that I left there and we can stop by my Grandma's on the way out of town."

He nodded. "Sounds good. Let's get to packing." They went into the dark house and made their way to her childhood bedroom.

Jess smirked. "Wow... I'm in Rory Gilmore's bedroom and the SWAT team hasn't descended upon us. I guess we really are adults now, aren't we?"

Rory rolled her eyes as she started packing things. "You've been in my bedroom before."

He went over to her bookshelf. "Not since we first met. When we were dating, your mom wouldn't let me within twelve feet of your bed."

"True. At least we still had your house, though. Poor Luke was totally clueless."

"Yeah." He started flipping through a book. "Granted, your mom didn't have much of a reason to be worried in the first place. We were smart. We didn't do anything that could actually get us in trouble."

"Oh yeah, because you were an absolute Saint," she teased. "You wouldn't dream of taking my virginity."

"Trust me, I dreamed about it... I just knew that you weren't that kind of person, and I liked that about you. I didn't want to pressure you into anything."

"Thanks for that... That's part of why I always felt so safe with you. You liked me for me." She bit her lip and came over to read over his shoulder.

"I still do. I'll always like you for who you are." He smiled over his shoulder at her and then something caught his eye. "Hey, you still have it." He found the book that he stole from her to write in the margins back when they first met.

She smiled softly. "Yeah... It has a place of honor, right next to my favorite book." She pulled out the copy of Jess' book that he wrote and gave to her. That made him smile wider.

"It really wasn't that good," he shrugged. "But I'm glad it lived up to the Rory Gilmore book standard. That is the greatest honor I could ever receive."

She leaned against him. "It was perfect. Hey, did you ever keep anything from when we dated?"

"Yes, actually. Well, technically it was before we dated... I kept that awful picnic basket that I spent a fortune on just to eat with you."

She laughed. "I almost forgot about that... I wouldn't admit it at the time, but I had a lot of fun at that picnic... That was where I really started to fall for you. Poor Dean."

He shook his head. "Yeah... I feel kinda bad about everything that happened. Although, I'd do it again in a heartbeat to get you to fall for me."

"I think I'd fall for you without you bullying Dean," she stated.

"Good to know," he laughed.  "Now let's hurry up and get you packed.  We can get ice cream on our way out of town."

"You know me so well," she grinned.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Soon enough, Rory was completely packed and they loaded it all into the back of the truck.  Rory told Jess she'd be right back and ran inside to change into more comfortable clothes and then hopped in the car.  Jess looked over at her and sucked in a breath. 

"Wow... Don't take this the wrong way, but I can definitely tell that you're pregnant in that shirt." She blushed and looked down at the black tank top and jeans she was wearing.

"Should I go change?" She asked.

"No! No... It was just kind of a shock.  Makes it seem real.  You're still beautiful.  And it's really nothing, it's just that you've always been really tiny.  If I didn't really know you, I wouldn't notice."

She nodded and then smiled at how nervous this conversation made him.  "I'm not mad, you know.  You didn't call me fat or anything.  Besides, I'm not the type of girl that would get mad if you did."

He shook his head. "You're something else, Gilmore." He put a hand on her leg as he drove. "And I'd never call you fat. You eat like a fat person, but you aren't fat. Now let's go eat some ice cream."

He parked and they went in. "What do you want?" He wrapped an arm around her. "I'm feeling chocolate today."

She looked up. "Hmm... I can't decide between vanilla and chocolate. Want to get both and share?"

"Perfect." He kissed her cheek and they were about to order when someone called Rory's name.

Rory turned to find none other than Dean Forester. He was standing there holding his son's hand.

"Oh wow... Hi, Dean." She smiled. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, uh... Grady wanted some ice cream so here we are." He put a hand on his son's head. Suddenly she noticed that his eyes were lingering on her stomach.

She bit her lip. "The answer is yes. I'm pregnant."

"Wow... I don't know why, but I just had a feeling you'd never have kids... Congratulations, though. Who's the lucky guy?" Just then, Jess walked up and handed her the vanilla ice cream.

"Here you go, Kid. Didn't know if you wanted a cone or a cup so I got both." He noticed Dean but said nothing.

"I... Guess that answers that question," Dean said with a light laugh. "How are you, Jess?"

"I'm not the father," he said. "I'm just the guy who is actually here."

Dean looked confused for a minute. "So the dad is...?"

"Not in the picture," Rory said with a shake of her head.

"I see. Well, if you ever need anything... You know where to find me. I'm serious Rory, I've been through this. Give me a call if you need help or advice or... Anything," Dean rambled on.

"Thanks, but I don't think I'll need anything. I've got Jess to help and that's more than what I need." She smiled and shrugged.

Dean laughed and shook his head. "Of course you do. Funny how life works out, huh?" He looked down at Grady and then back at Jess. "Take good care of her, man."

"I always do..." He took her hand in his.

Dean shook his head again. "Enjoy your ice cream. I've got to get this guy home. Bye, Rory. Bye, Jess." With that, he left.

Jess wrapped an arm around Rory. "I take it back. I don't feel bad about any of it. I still really hate that guy."

Rory laughed. "Why? He didn't do anything."

"I know... But I'm still jealous."

She smiled and leaned into him. "You're cute when you're jealous."

"Well then I must be downright adorable any time a guy so much as looks at you."

She rolled her eyes and took a lick of his ice cream.

He smiled and they climbed into a booth side-by-side.

"So..." Rory said awkwardly.

"So?" He chuckled.  "Rory, we can't go back to that.  I'll kiss you and shut you up, if that'll help."

She nodded eagerly.  "That might work." He leaned in slowly and kissed her. She responded hungrily, her free hand slipping up into his hair.

After only a minute, she pulled away reluctantly.  "Our ice cream is going to melt..."

"Let it melt." He tried to kiss her again but she turned her head. 

"You know, the sooner we leave here, the sooner we get to New York... To our own apartment... All by ourselves."

He raised a hand.  "Check, please."