Goodbyes suck

The wedding went by in a blur, Lorelai was on cloud nine. She was glad that they had eloped the night before, but she really did love the wedding. As cheesy as it sounds, she did feel like a princess, finally getting her happily ever after.

What made it all the better was Luke. When she walked down the aisle, he looked like he was about to cry. He managed to hold it together, but when she finally made it to the altar, he couldn't keep his hands off of her. Throughout he entire ceremony, he gripped her hand tight in his as a sort of lifeline. And then there was the kiss... It was the kiss of both of their dreams, more magical than most of the ones they had shared in the past.

After the ceremony, they all piled into Luke's diner where an eclectic mix of Luke's burgers and Sookie's fanciest meals sat buffet-style on the counter.

"Isn't this crazy?" Lorelai whispered to Luke as they watched the scene from behind the counter.

"What? How much food Kirk is piling on that tiny plate?"

She shook her head.  "No... How many people are here from all the different parts of our lives.  I've always kept my Hartford life separate from my Stars Hollow life and suddenly here it is, all in front of me.  It's just... A lot."

He nodded.  "I know what you mean.  Look, your mom is over there talking to Taylor.  There's my cousin, flirting with Miss Patty.  It's weird.  And then there's those two..." He nodded to where Jess and Rory were standing in line, her head resting on his shoulder as he held onto her.

Lorelai sighed.  "Look at them.  They're so sweet... What are they going to do when she moves to New York?"

Luke bit his lip.  "About that... Okay, Jess told me not to tell you yet, but I think that I have to."

"We're married now, that is the rule.  What is it?"

"Jess has an apartment in New York... When he found out about the baby, he asked Rory to move in with him so he could help her out.  She said yes."

Lorelai was quiet for a minute.  "I... I don't know how I feel about this.  I offered to help and she shut me down, said she wanted to do it alone... Now she's moving in with him?" She bit her lip.  "On the other hand, she really does need help and I'm glad that it's him.  They've grown up together... It's nice.  I just wish that she still needed me."

"She does need you.  She'll always need you."

Just then, April walked up with her arms crossed.  "Look at me, dad! Do I look like a goody-goody? I pierced my nose! I tried to smoke pot! Granted, I couldn't do it and my nose got infected, but still! I'm such a baddy-baddy!"

Luke's eyes were wide.  "For the time being, Lorelai, I think April needs you too."

////////////////////////////////////////////

People started to filter out as the sun went down.  Rory found her mom in the remaining chaos.

"Hey..." She said.

"Hey back," Lorelai smiled.  "Do you want another piece of cake?"

Rory shook her head.  "No thanks... You eat it.  I think I'm going to head out.  Jess is going to help me get my stuff packed and then I'll hit the road."

"Oh.  Alright.  So you... You found an apartment?"

She nodded.  "Yeah.  Actually, Jess has a spare room.  I'm going to take it."

Lorelai gave a tight smile.  "That's great.  I'm glad it all worked out."

"Mom... I promise I'm not abandoning you.  I just... I can't do this in Stars Hollow." She gestured to her stomach.  "Everyone here is so protective and invasive... I need space to figure things out."

"I get it, sweetie.  I do.  I just wish that leaving here didn't mean leaving me."

"I'm not leaving you.  I'm... Taking a vacation.  A vacation where I can come home and visit you any time and you could come visit me, too."

"Promise?"

"I promise.  Even if you just want to show me a cat video at three in the morning... I'll be there."

Lorelai hugged her.  "Good.  I love you."

"I love you too." She hugged her mom back.

"Tell Jess I said thank-you, okay?"

"Sure.  Bye, mom." Luke walked up and Rory hugged him too.  "Bye, Luke.  Take good care of her."

"Will do." He smiled.

Rory took one more look around before heading out the door into Jess' waiting truck.  As they drove off, Lorelai leaned into Luke.  "This sucks."

"Yeah, it does.  But I have an idea... How about we ditch the party and take some pie and coffee upstairs."

"But everyone ate all of the pie."

He shook his head and pulled out a pie that he had hidden just for her.

Her eyes lit up.  "I love you so much."

"Yeah, yeah." He chuckled.  He poured her a cup of coffee and they headed upstairs, leaving the noise and the people and retreating to the safety of the apartment.