Chapter 19: Conversation

NEWT'S POV
They cleared out quickly but the distruction was still done. We all gathered at a rock. Brenda, Jorge, the remaining Gladers, the girls from the other Maze and Aris, as well as Vince.

I feel miserable. My Best Friend gets kidnaped and Rhea too. I don't know what it is about Rhea to me, but she's definitely more than a Friend. Friends aren't that easy to talk to all the time. Friends definitely don't make my heart pick up the pace when they come around.

"We need to get them back," Tommy says, shaking his head.

"Tommy, they're captured by WICKED. What are we supposed to do?" I question, my tone harsh.

"Newt's right. It's a suicide attempt if y'all go back there," Vince agrees, though I wish he hadn't.

"We have to save Minho and Rhea. I don't know why she went after him, but she did. And we have to save them," Tommy insists.

"Listen man, Minho's my Best Friend. If I could do anything to save him, I would. But this... this is way too dangerous," I say, feeling really hurt and mad.

"And Rhea? Don't you care for her as well? This isn't one, but two people we care for. Well, mostly Minho, but still," Tommy says.

My eyes harden at the mention of Rhea. I was trying to avoid mentioning her.

Vince bites his lower lip as Quill walks up to me and takes my hand.

"We're going for Rhea. I don't care what you say," Sonya says coldly. "We wouldn't have made it this far without Rhea and without her more people could have died earlier."

"She's right," Aris says. "Rhea's my Best Friend. I'm not leaving her. Neither are we leaving Minho."

Silence settles between us, and Thomas meets my eyes, hoping that I'll agree to this suicidal attempt. A breath escapes me, and I find myself nodding. Because how could I live with myself, leaving Minho and Rhea to WICKED's devices? "I'm in," I say, not missing the way Thomas exhales in relief.

"You know what guys?" Vince sighs. "I like your determination. We're gonna break into WICKED."