9.

Luka's boat was the nicest Sebastian had ever seen. Then again, he hadn't seen or been in many boats before. His people weren't the seafaring type. They preferred to move in the darkness. Preferably on land as well.

They were all seated below deck. The sound of water sloshing against the outside hull filled his ears. For the past two days, the noise had been the soundtrack of their lives. The vast expanse of the sea was a painting—a painting they were stuck in.

Sebastian spent most of his time inside. Seeing the choppy waves and nothingness for miles made his stomach churn. Whenever the boat rocked, he thought he was going to throw up his meal for the day. He would've rather to shadow-jump ten times in a row rather than sail on a ship. He didn't know how pirates did it.

At least it was a nice ship.

"How far away are we?" he asked through gritted teeth. He rubbed his temples, trying to force the seasickness from his body.

"It's hard to tell," Luka answered. He was stretched out in his seat, his hands folded behind his head and his eyes closed. "The fog over the water is making it hard to see. There must be a storm coming."

Ajax nearly choked on nothing. "Did you just say storm?"

Sebastian retched at the notion.

"Woah, woah, woah," Luka warned. "Throw up in my ship and I'll throw you overboard."

Nodding, he swallowed back the bile rising in his throat. He leaned his head against the wall and clamped his eyelids shut. The boat continued to shift and move with the water around it. It certainly felt like they were in a storm.

"You don't sound worried about this," he told Luka.

The man shrugged his shoulders. "Storms are common around this part of the sea. They protect our island from any...unwanted visitors. I've sailed these waters for many years. We'll be alright."

Remy, who had a map in his hands, arched an eyebrow at the man. Sebastian took a peek at the long piece of parchment. A white blip was cutting across the paper. It was making its way to the large landmass towards the center. The boy pointed at a spot on the island labeled "the gate".

"Why aren't we coming in from there?" he asked.

Luka rubbed the back of his neck, smiling sheepishly. "Well, you see, I'm not exactly...allowed in the city."

Imogen glared at him. "What are you talking about?"

Ajax pulled up a seat, his brows furrowed. "Yeah. What are you talking about?"

Sebastian leaned forward in his chair. The man's words took his mind off his seasickness for a moment. "How are you not allowed in your own city."

Luka stood up and wrung his hands together. "You see, you need a license to sell items outside of the city. I don't have one of those. The Eldai and the Aegeon soldiers have been after me for a while. So, when I'm conducting my business with associates in Thania, I enter the city using...alternative methods."

"But you sell wine?" Remy shook his head. "What's so bad about that?"

"Not just wine, kid," Luka said with a cheeky grin.

Sebastian frowned. Great, he thought. They were being escorted into House Aegeon's capital city with the help of a known criminal. That wouldn't go over well with Sirus if he found out.

"It'll be fine, though," the blond man added. "We'll slip through the invisible barrier with no problem. Will dock at this secluded beach and I'll take you all into the city. After that, we'll never have to speak again. Like you said, you can forget we ever met."