22.

Thania was preparing for an attack.

Those who lived near the city center had begun evacuating to the outer edges. A stream of worried and irritable citizens passed through the streets, muttering amongst themselves about the looming siege. While the people were leaving, the undersized Aegeon military was moving in.

They had set up shield charm with a two-mile radius around the portal. Though, their casters weren't the most skilled at protection charms—which was why they had called for Sebastian and Remy. Sebastian wasn't skilled in that area, but Remy was. The boy knew almost everything there was to know about magic; he had memorized a plethora of spells, potion recipes, and charms.

It was a shame he sucked at battle magic. Had he been somewhat decent at it, he would've been one of the most well-rounded magicians on the planet.

Sebastian and the boy were currently making their way to one section of the shield charm that Sirus' magicians were struggling with. While he didn't really need to be there, he couldn't stand waiting around in the palace any longer. The anticipation was starting to fry his brain.

While he and Remy were out in the streets, the evening air charged with tension, Ajax, Imogen, and Siren had stayed behind with Sirus and the other high-ranking members of House Aegeon.

The two of them passed through the crowded path, pushing through the frantic civilians. A few of them shot Sebastian pointed looks, which he replied to with a sharp glare of his own. They didn't look at him again.

"I think they like you," Remy mused.

"Very funny."

Someone bumped into his shoulder.

"Watch it, devil."

"What did you just—"

Remy snatched Sebastian's hand and tugged him along, pulling him away from what would have turned into a fistfight in the middle of the road. The black-haired magicians shouted curses at the perpetrator as his friend carted him away.

"Okay, so maybe they don't like you."

"You think?"

Sebastian pulled the hood of his black jacket up and stuffed his hands into his pockets. He should've expected that kind of reception. After all, his house was about to attack their island. He just wished they could see he wasn't like them. He had never been like them.

"Let's just hurry up and help with the shield charm," he grumbled. "It's getting dark and I don't want to be out here for too much longer."

"I didn't take you for one to be afraid of a fight," Remy said as they continued down the street.

"I'm not," Sebastian replied. "We just need to get back to help protect Sirus. If my father somehow makes it to him, it's over. We can't let that happen."

Remy nodded.

After crossing a few bridges and traveling down some back alleys, they arrived at the section of the shield charm they were needed at. Three magicians stood there talking with their backs facing them.

Sebastian arched an eyebrow at the fractured barrier in front of him. It moved in the air like rippling water. With all the holes in the shield, he couldn't tell if it was magic or transparent swiss cheese.

"I can see why they needed help," Remy said.

"Yeah, no kidding."

The two boys approached the struggling magicians and introduced themselves.

"So, what seems to be the issue?" Remy asked.

One of them cleared their throat and gestured at their botched charm. "Well, we're not really charmers. In fact, these two behind me are water elementalists." The pair of magicians and smiled and waved. Sebastian rolled his eyes. "I'm struggling with connecting this part of the charm with the rest."