33.

Sebastian was getting his ass handed to him by Emile. He couldn't say he was surprised, though. Emile was the second most talented knight in his father's ranks. He had once been a proud member of the Eldai. As a child, remembered the man being an honest soldier. A kind man. A just man.

He had succumbed to his father's darkness, corrupted by promises of power and glory. Now, he was just a glorified lapdog.

How the mighty have fallen, Sebastian thought as he fell face-first into the sand.

The knockback spell that hit his chest still stung. A whole had bore into his shirt, exposing part of his torso. Groaning, he picked himself back up and conjured a shield charm just in time to deflect another attack.

Emile wasn't letting up. And it didn't help that Sebastian didn't have enough vitalae to perform any substantial attacks. He'd have to stay on the defensive until his opponent ran out of steam.

Judging by the speed and tenacity of which Emile was slinging balls of shadow energy at him, he wasn't sure when that would be.

Thorian and Sirus were still battling not too far away from where the boy stood. Sirus had the upper hand. He was sending shards of ice hurtling at the dark magician, who was struggling to keep up his shield.

Sebastian noticed he was using his Eldenarian artifact—something he rarely did. The man seemed to be drawing on his ring's energy to fuel his attacks. Sirus was using his artifact as well to control and manipulate the body of water at his back.

The water elementalist shouted a spell and flung his hands at Thorian. Multiple arms of water rushed from the ocean. Thorian sliced at them with his vayrir, but the blade failed at hurting the liquid. They ignored his efforts and lifted him in the air.

Sirus bellowed out another spell. More water rose from the ocean. This time, it encased him in a bubble and attached the water-arms to the outside, making him look like an octopus.

Sebastian and Emile stood amongst each other in awe as they watched Thorian rise in the air. The man fought against his binds. Sirus, his face contorted in concentration within his bubble, flicked his wrist.

The water arms flung Sebastian's father towards the ocean. He flailed in the water, but the waves were threatening to pull him under.

"My lord!" Emile yelled. He stepped toward Emile. He never made it to him, though, as a shard of ice smacked into his chest. The man fell, his ram's mask flying from his face after he hit the floor.

Sirus dropped his octopus armor and staggered over to Sebastian. Water—and probably sweat—dripped from his face. "Are you alright?"

Sebastian nodded. He was breathing hard and the pain in his injured arm hadn't gone away yet, but it was better than being dead. He shuddered at the memory of him floating in Nordor.

His soul had been so close to dropping into the bottomless pits that made up the underworld. But something brought him back. He wasn't sure if it was Siren's doing or fate or some other higher power.

All he knew was that he still had a job to do. And that was to protect Sirus and his family.

"Let's go," he told the man.

They nodded at each other and took off for the boat floating in the ocean.

The others had successfully made it on board. Ajax and Siren were making their way over the icy walkway stretching across the water. Sebastian and Sirus approached the shoreline. He glanced over his shoulder and spotted his sister lying motionless in the sand.