11.

Makaela stared up at the ceiling, unable to fall asleep in the silent darkness of her room.

Her mind was busy thinking about the mission to hijack the central portal spire in Gibraltar. She, Amora, and the Shades a part of their squad would be leaving for their task in the morning. This was her chance to impress Thorian and win his trust. She would be able to learn more about his master plan that way. She might've even been able to tell her friends how they could stop him.

But she had to carry out the mission first.

She held the Illumio—the Eldenarian artifact belonging to her house, House Lumai—up to her face. The ring's golden gemstone pulsed through the night. It had been in her possession for a decade, yet she still had no what its full capabilities included. According to Remy, they were the most powerful relics in the three realms.

That was great and all, but she still didn't know how to use it.

Makaela frowned at the ring, poking at it as if that would cause some sort of reaction. Of course, nothing happened. Her frown deepened into a scowl, her eyes narrowing.

''Come on, you stupid thing,'' she muttered. ''Do something.''

To her surprise, a small pulse of golden light flared from within the gem. Her eyes widened. The light continued to grow. Golden rays protruded from the gem and bathed her walls with yellow luster. Its glare stung her eyes, forcing her to turn away.

She covered her eyes with her free hand and stole a peek at the angry ring.

The Aurelian crystal had cracked open, its luminosity having died down a bit. Multiple rune circles floated in the air, spinning slowly as they displayed their untranslated messages. She had seen images like this in her father's spellbook. However, she hadn't fully learned the old language before she was forced out of her home all those years ago.

Great, she thought. I finally open the damn thing but now I can't read it.

A fleeting thought crossed her mind and she wished it hadn't. However, it may have been her only chance at figuring out what the message in her ring said. She'd have to ask Thorian about it. His ring—the artifact belonging to House Tenebris—was almost an identical copy of her own. If anyone would know what was going on with the Illumio, he would.

Sighing, she decided she would ask him when she returned from her mission.

A lot was riding on the completion of the task the man had given her and his daughter. Despite the differences the two girls had with each other, they would have to put them aside and finish the task at hand. That was easier said than done, though.

Footsteps came from the corridor outside her bedroom. Her ears perking up, she stared at her door. She inhaled the scent of the person in the hall. They smelled of sage and rainwater. Her tense muscles relaxed.

. Quickly grabbing her ring, she forcibly pushed the split gemstone back together. The room darkened again. A knock sounded on her door.

''Come in.''

The knob turned and someone pushed it open. The faint light from the torches outside poured in through the opening as a man clad in a pitch-black cloak stepped inside. He closed the door behind him and removed his hood. A man clad in a pitch-black cloak with the hood up entered her room and closed the door behind him.

She arched an eyebrow at him.

"What are you doing here, Emile?"

"Just came to give you a bit of advice for tomorrow," he replied, his voice as smooth as silk.