29

tap

tap

tap

By the fourth tap on her window, Dylan had paused her computer to make sure the noise was real. Although she had paused the computer, the stupid taps kept coming. Slowly, she crawled out of her bed. Her fingers ran through her hair. She knew that her messy bun was gross, but she didn't want to fix it. The cold of her room tickled her once warm legs. 

The girl stared at the window. The blinds covered the glass and the image of outside. It was at the tenth tap. It kept coming, each time she counted it. Even with the blinds closed, Dylan knew who was on the other side. She was hesitant to open it. She was afraid that he really wasn't there. That this was a figment of her imagination. That she was going crazy. Crazy without him. 

Austin wasn't going to give up. He continued to throw the beads. He wanted to see her face. To tell her how sorry he was. How he was an idiot. And that he loved her. More than words could explain. By this point, Edwin and Brandon had gone inside the house. Both were getting chilly and didn't want to be there when the girl opened the window. 

By the tenth bead, Austin was giving up hope. He stood outside Dylan's window, staring up at it. He took in a breathe, unsure of his next move. "Dylan!" He called up to her. "Dylan! Open your window!"

On the other side of the window, the introvert took in a breathe. Her heart pounded in her chest. This wasn't her imagination. This was real. Her fingers grasped onto the blinds' rope as she tugged them up. She looked down to the backyard. Like expected, there he stood. 

The golden-haired boy looked up at the girl. He watched as she pushed the glass window open. A slight smile tugged at her lips. The grin he carried couldn't be tamed. Austin took in a breathe, "Hey."

"What are you doing here? I thought you hated me." Dylan stared at the boy who was a few feet away from her. She bit her lip. Although he was here, she was afraid that he would say he still hated her guts. That he wanted nothing to do with her. But he stayed silent.

Until "Could you come down?" He couldn't tell if she could see his eyes, but his tone was filled with pleading. The girl was too far away from him. He wanted her to be closer. Dylan just nodded. The boy watched the window close, the blinds cover the window, the lights shut off. All the while, his fingers were crossed and he prayed that she actually came down to talk to him. 

In a matter of minutes, she was in the backyard. Dylan walked closer to Porter but kept a distance between them. She wanted to be closer, except it could make things worse. Before he could get any words out, Arreaga stared to blabber, "I'm sorry for not texting you that day. I got distracted by Everett and forgot to tell you where Ed and I were going. I didn't see you all day so I couldn't ask what happened. And then you wouldn't answer my calls or text. I tried to come by your house, but you were with your girlfriend and you yelled at me. I don't want you to hate me Austin. I didn't think I hurt you that bad. But I'm so so sorry. Please don't hate me." Tears that weren't expected came falling down the girl's face.  Austin stared at the girl. He took in the girl's words slowly. They processed in his brain.

And then he started to walk closer to her, "I could never hate you Dylpickle. I overreacted. And Fiffany isn't my girlfriend, just a friend. I regret yelling at you that day. My mom loves you by the way. You are too precious to me to hate you. You know why I overreacted?" At this point, Austin was mere inches away from the crying Arreaga. Dyl stared up at him. She shook her head hastily. "Becuase I was jealous. I was jealous of Edwin. I thought that he loved you." The extrovert paused, "That you loved him." Again he paused, this time Porter pressed his forehead to the girl's, "And I love you."

His eyes fluttered down to the girl's lips, then back up to her brown eyes. As the four words left the boy's lips, Dylan could feel her breathing hitch. Without much thought after that, the girl wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his. Austin's arms wrapped around her waist, lifting her up a little. Butterflies erupted in Dylan's stomach, while sparks ran in Austin's veins. The two hadn't realized how long they each had waited to do that until it actually happened.

Once they had let go, the boy pressed his lips to the girl's forehead. Her eyes flickered up to his. "I love you too."

(btw there is only one more chapter)