Body language: what eyes can tell you

We've talked a lot about body language and how it can be used in your writing, but not much has been said about analyzing the body language of the eyes. A lot can be inferred by utilizing eye body language in your writing, so hopefully this will help you learn more about it.

Here are a few ways you can use the eyes to express emotions:

Gazing

If someone is gazing at something that usually means they have expressed an interest in whatever it is. Gazing usually means that the person looks unfocused on the person or object as a whole. For example, gazing at someone's lips might be a sign that you want to kiss them. It's usually a sign of wanting. You can also gaze at someone to size them up in some way.

Glancing

If you glance at someone it can be because you want to get a quick look at them without staring. Someone might glance if they don't want the other person to know they're focusing their attention on them. You can also glance at someone with your eyebrow raised in order to show suspicion or doubt.

Staring

Staring at someone or something can be used to show surprise, shock, interest, or disbelief. In novels, staring is sometimes used to show attraction. For example, one character realizing they were staring at another character because there was something intriguing about them.

Closing

If someone closes their eyes that could indicate that they're trying to get their thoughts together by shutting out the rest of the world. It could mean that your character does not want to see something or wants to distance their mind from what's happening.

Wet

Obviously big tears means that a character is crying, but wet eyes can show that a character is holding back tears or had been crying previously. This helps reveal how a character is feeling and if they are trying to hold back their emotions.

Rubbing

People can rub their eyes when they're tired or sometimes when they feel uncomfortable. It gives a character an excuse to look away. It can be used in the same way that yawning is used.

Looking Down

If someone looks down when another character is talking to them, it could indicate that your character feels uncomfortable or is intimidated. It is also used a sign of submission. This is also sometimes used as a sign of respect-in some cultures eye contact is considered rude or used to express dominance. It can also indicate guilt in some cases.

Looking Up

When someone is thinking, they'll often look up to the side. It helps you visualize what you're thinking about and analyze the situation. Also, if someone is trying to recall something they might look up.

Looking Away

If someone looks away from you after you ask a question it might mean they could be avoiding the question or that they're planning on lying. It's easier to lie if eye contact is avoided for most people. Looking away can also indicate boredom or guilt.