Backstory

One of the number 1 things you need when writing is backstory. Backstory is very important when creating characters. The backstory can even be plain or exciting and mysterious.

When revealing backstory don't do it all at once. Just drop simple things here and there.

Some back stories can be mysterious and exciting for example, a character with a cool backstory is Ms.Hudson. Ms.Hudson is a former stripper, she ran a drug cartel, she is a widow, and her weakness is marijuana.

Backstory also helps to create strange and exciting characters. Sherlock Holmes is a consulting detective with a drug problem that gets off on solving crimes. He doesn't solve crimes for money, he just enjoys it, he gets a high from it.

Backstory also effects how your character is now. For instance, Dean Winchester. Dean's mother was killed by a demon when he was four so he was forced to grow up quickly and learn how to hunt demons and monsters alike. He grew up protecting his brother Sam so when Sam died (sorry if I just spoiled that for you) he sold his soul to bring him back. Since he sold his soul, he went to hell but was brought back by the angel Castiel.

Backstory is also needed for when your character does something most people don't. For instance, Levi Heichou (sorry if I spelt the wrong I can never spell it right) always hold his teacups by holding the top of the cup instead of the handle and he's a neat freak. Why does he do that? He grew up poor in a place that he always wished would be clean. On day, he acquired a tea set. He picked up a teacup by the handle and it immediately broke off and shattered on the ground.

Even little things in their backstory effects the person they are now.

Backstory effects what will happen and how their life will be.

Sorry for ranting but the point is that backstory is important.

These are the things you need to ask yourself when creating a backstory.

Where are they from?

Do they have any siblings?

What job did they have? (If it's important to the story)

What type of environment did they grow up in?

How where their parents? Where they strict or abusive?

Why do they do those certain little things they always do?