The King's Attention - Part Two

Standing in front of the Allfather's bedroom doors had never felt as intimidating as it did in that one moment.

Knowing that he was waiting inside only heightened your nerves and you found yourself stalling, wringing your hands together and giving yourself a pep talk whilst pacing back and forth.

You must have been pacing for a while as from inside the room an impatient voice yelled out; "Are you coming in or not?"

You started a little at the intruding voice and your heart beat sped up uncomfortably, adrenaline started pumping through you and made your body feel like jelly.

Forcing yourself towards the door, you try to steady your hand whilst turning the doorknob which at that moment felt like some kind of symbolic seal of opening the lock to your impending decline at the hands of the Allfather.

As you stepped inside, you moved forward and shuddered with a cold chill when you heard the door click shut behind you, which was followed by the sound of the lock snapping into place by an invisible hand.

Despite this not being the first time you had set foot in this room, you still felt amazingly tense and antsy about being there at that moment.

When you used to tidy the room, Odin wouldn't be around to watch over you with an unrelenting stare like he was right now and though you didn't envy whoever took the duty of having to tidy this vast and large room now, you certainly wished that were the circumstance of the visit.

"You certainly took your time out there, was it that hard to decide if I was truly worth visiting or not?"

You stared at him in silence, your hands clasped together in front of your worn beige frock and accompanying white apron.

"Had I not known any better, I'd have thought you were avoiding me."

Your hands started to knead at the apron as you grew a little more anxious with each passing second, images of various punishments running through your mind even though you knew you hadn't done anything to warrant one.

"I did sorely miss having you around."

Odin slowly raised from where he had been perched on the bed and gradually moved closer, your eyes never left him as you watched his deliberately slow movements.

"I kind of resent you taking away such a beautiful sight and for the longest time I did wonder why that was."

Your throat grew dry as he neared and you found it hard to form any words, not that he was giving you a chance to speak much in the first place.

"And then I realised."

A strange smirk adorned his lips and before your very eyes the image of Odin dissolved away in a shimmer of green and revealed the youngest prince beneath the magic, as he dropped the illusion fully, Loki rested a hand on the door behind you and leaned down to your level.

"No one wants to be leered at by an old man."

It was strange staring into the handsome face of the dark prince, seeing how his dark hair framed his pale face and made his blue eyes all the more pronounced. His thing lips were still curved into a mischievous smirk as his eyes roamed over your cowered form, his eyebrow quirked a little.

"My prince, we all thought you were-"

"Dead? I know, that was the point."

"But how?"

"I'm a trickster by nature, besides is it really that important?"

"I suppose not," you frowned a little, biting your lip whilst trying to avert your eyes to stop you from your continuous staring.

Loki had always been a point of fascination for you long before you came to work at the castle, he was one of the reasons you had hoped to secure a job at the palace but by the time you had managed to the word had spread around Asgard of Loki's death.

Cold fingers pressed into your cheek and pushed your head back into the perfect position to stare into his eyes.

"I didn't say you could look away."

"Sorry, my prince."

"Do I still intimidate you?"

"A little," you whisper, your heart beginning to beat erratically faster.

"I'll just have to see to that, won't I? As long as you can keep this little secret then I will be sure that you are rewarded handsomely."

"Why me?"

"You happened to catch my eye," he shrugged nonchalantly, "of course I've had women willing to bed me in disguise, but can you truly imagine me doing such things in that visage?"

He gave a playful shudder and chuckled whilst wrapping an arm tightly around your waist and pulling you flush against him, his other hand resting comfortably on your hip as he stared down at you with that mischievous twinkle.

You opened your mouth to respond just as he leaned down to your ear.

"There are some limits even I won't go to."

The deep tone to his voice and his breath ghosting over your ear caused you to shiver and your body to tingle pleasantly.

"So what do you say? You go back to working in close proximity to me and I will be sure that you never go another night without pleasure of some kind."

You flustered a little at the proposition, but still felt a sense of comfort knowing that you could work your old jobs without the real Odin looming over you.

Knowing that it was Loki eased your worries and disgust, so with a light smile you nodded and met his intense gaze as your arms snaked up to clasp around his shoulders.

"I'd be stupid to say no."