The Siren's Call - MerLoki - Part Five

The feeling that swept over me was too familiar.

How I felt weightless as the water engulfed me and pulled me deeper.

The feeling of my legs still being there, but somehow also not, at least not in a way that was familiar and comfortable to me.

There were cold hands resting on my hips and a broad chest was pressed against my own as a lingering kiss tingled my lips and filled the darkness behind my closed eyes with a green glow.

My lungs didn't burn from needing air and my eyes, which typically felt uncomfortable when I got a drop of water in them, didn't seem to feel any different than if I were on dry land.

But I still feared to open them.

The green glow died down and I was left in darkness again, the contract being withdrawn and the hands leaving my hips as a chuckle entered the space around us.

"Are you going to just float there? Or do you plan on doing something?"

"I'm afraid to open my eyes."

"Why?"

"I don't want my dream from the other night to come true."

"You don't?"

"To turn my entire life upside down to live in an ocean that's gradually filling with more plastic and pollution? Not particularly."

My eyes finally opened when I felt thin fingers press under my chin and tilt my head up, my eyes meeting his seemingly glowing blue ones.

"But you wished to return to the surface, you weren't strong enough to swim alone with those legs and I certainly wasn't carrying you," he smirked, his eyes staring intensely into mine, "this is the one way."

"How?" I snapped, pulling away from him as best as I could, my movements awkward due to the tail he had once again added to my anatomy, "I can't go on land like this."

"No," he laughed, a deep and taunting sound, "it seems you can't."

I glared at him and clenched my fists, though he didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to my foul mood and instead let his eyes trail down from my face.

A low growl, a sound that I'd never made before in my life, escaped my throat as I moved my arms across my disturbingly bare chest, Loki only grinned like a predator as swam closer to me, his webbed digits catching strands of my waving hair and running through it.

"But I'll strike a deal with you," he murmured, his voice husked in a way that shouldn't have caused the reaction in me that it did.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because if you don't, you'll be stuck down here, no friends, no family, only ongoing pollution that'll just make you hungrier and sicker as time went on."

I shook my head and closed my eyes, having to turn my head away from him.

It was undeniable that he had a point of me not wanting to be stuck down here.

All over the internet were discussions and news of the ongoing issue with plastic in our seas, the effect it was having and the animals that were suffering.

At home I tried my best to do what I could, recycling whatever could be recycled, cutting back on the use of straws as much as I could and making sure to dissect the ones I did use before recycling those too and overstuffing my bag whenever I forgot to bring a shopping or tote bag out with me.

But there was only so much one person could do against the millions of others in the world.

In the water, Loki looked completely different to how he did out of it.