Wattpad Original
There are 68 more free parts

Chapter 18

Jett asking about Wychthorn

Jett asking about Wychthorn... It grounded me, like falling from a great height to slam into concrete.

Fuck, what am I doing enjoying bantering with Wychthorn?

"We're running out of time." He threw a bottle cap at me. Hard. Fast. My reflexes took over and I snatched it out of the air just before it struck my left eyeball.

"Fucker," I snarled, hurling it back.

Jett, just as swift as me, captured the bottle cap in his palm. "We need to know what she is, so we can contain her," he hissed back. "One month, Gray. That's all the time we have left."

I relaxed back into the booth, as much as I could with a sword strapped to my spine. A waitress came over handing us fresh beers before clearing the table of empty bottles. When she left I took a sip of beer before answering. "Fuck, ease up brother. I got this."

This weekend I was going to hunt my little bird and find out exactly what she was. She thought she hid it well, and she had. She'd been able to shield herself in a way that so many others hadn't been able to do and while they'd quickly been caught out, she managed to remain undiscovered. But I'd always known her secret. I'd felt her uniqueness the first time I'd been near her presence when we were children, well before we'd signed the Alverac.

I should have said something back then to my aunt. If I had, maybe we wouldn't be where we were today.

But Wychthorn's fate and my own were intertwined—colliding on one fateful night, twelve years ago.

Tonight, I'd observed the way she'd carried herself with the Pelans, the stiffness at odds with her normal fidgeting. Her senses had been overwhelmed by too many people. Whatever gifts she had, she was clearly dealing with them on her own. She had no one to mentor her.

I swallowed down a mouthful of cool, malty beer. "She's strong," I told Jett. She'd been a writhing hellion with strength and no skill, and I hadn't realized her strength before. That wasn't necessarily other. Strength and speed and heightened senses had been bred into our family line for millennia. Having unnatural healing powers, like me and my siblings—was a borderline gift.

"She has truesight," I added, tipping my beer neck toward my brother. Again, truesight was something the Horned Gods couldn't dispute. They didn't like it, but they couldn't contest it. "Senses honed like ours, too." I knew she'd been listening in to Carola and Corné's conversation about the mistress. Who the fuck was she trying to kid, passing it off as a rumor? But that still didn't make her other.

But Wychthorn had revealed herself to me. The air had stirred in her bedroom with no open windows. No one was permitted to manipulate the elements. The Horned Gods would claim her as other just for that.

It wasn't all she was. I knew it, felt it. That was just the tip of what kind of other she was. Her powers seeped out of her as she fell apart, experiencing overwhelming sensations, as I rubbed my cock against her pussy. It wasn't just her trembling beneath me, the bed and walls of the room had too.