Interlude: Nick and Judy

"This is adorable," Judy said, looking at the passages in the book talking about Symba and Gazelle. She rested her chin on her paws, staring with a dreamy expression at the lines of flowing script and expressing her fascination with a sigh.

Beside her, Nick shrugged.

"Well, I don't know if I'd use the word 'adorable,'" he admitted, "but it is definitely kind of a sweet little story."

The two were still in the ZPD forensics room, and it was approaching dinnertime. Nick had already taken the liberty of ordering some takeout from Bite Castle (most delightful of all for Nick, a slice of Frieda's number-one-award-winning blackberry pie).

Deciding to take a break from reading, the two hungry officers took off their latex gloves and stepped over to another stainless steel table, eager to take a few bites.

"It's been really interesting to read all of that stuff," Judy admitted, "especially everything with Symba. I had no idea Gazelle once had a boyfriend, and now..."

Judy sighed happily again. Nick rolled his eyes as he unwrapped his one, pint-sized bugburger.

"Carrots," he said with a bite of bugburger in his mouth, "for a professional officer of the law in Zootopia, and a graduate of the highest law-enforcement academy in the state of Animalia, you're acting a bit like a school-bunny."

Judy scoffed, but her eyes held a playful mood. "This coming from the fox who spent half of his downtime in college watching romantic movies?"

Nick got defensive. "I already told you a million times, they weren't romantic movies. They were comedies—"

"...with romantic elements. I know." Judy said, finishing his sentence for him. She then gave him a playful shove. "Hey, it's all right with me."

Nick thanked her and they continued to eat.

"One thing's been bugging me," Nick said as he finished off his Bite Castle burger. "Why haven't we known about Symba?"

Judy was confused as she took a bite of one of the carrots in her own box of takeout. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Nick explained, "if Symba was still hanging around with Gazelle, I think we'd have heard something about him. If they were still dating or something, it'd be a bit hard to believe they weren't married or something after all this time."

"You're curious to see if they end up together, eh?" Judy asked, a sly tone in her voice.

Nick couldn't deny that he was. But there were other reasons he wanted to know what happened. But those he would explore at another time.

"Well, slick Nick," Judy said, in a joking manner, "since you're so desperate to find out what happens, and since Chief Bogo's letting us cover the night shift, I suppose we can read a bit more."

Nick made a very fake oh-my-gosh-I'm-so-happy face as he finished up his dinner, slipped his gloves back on and followed Judy back to the table to continue reading. Judy gingerly turned the pages.

Just before she did, however, Nick asked his Carrots one last question: "You're not going to get all sigh-y over this story, are you?"

Judy held up her paw as though swearing a professional oath.

"I solemnly promise here and now not to start becoming a school-bunny," she promised.

Judy was about to start reading again when she quickly added, "Unless they kiss."

Nick couldn't help but groan as he let his little rabbity friend keep on reading.