Chapter 13: A Family's Kind of Love

Peter Moosebridge and Fabienne Growley, the two news anchors on the Zootopia News Network, sat behind their desk early in the morning. Fabienne straightened her collar, and Peter took a sip of his coffee as the news broadcast began; with every animal in Capital City (and the rest of the state of Animalia) watching intently.

Far away from Capital City, in the city of Zootopia, there may have been forces such as the PSL, but they were far less active if they even existed at all. For the residents of that city, it was not uncommon to see predators and prey living, working and playing side-by-side.

But to Capital City's residents, it was a glimmer of hope to the predators, or practically blasphemy to the sympathizers of the PSL.

"Good morning," Peter began as the topic of the day flashed on the broadcast. "Today marks a pivotal turn in recent events as Governor David Bellwether will be holding a prey rights rally and press conference today on the front steps of the Governor's Palace in Capital City to discuss new security measures in the city. The governor, in addition to his many controversial decisions over the past three years since he was elected, has announced an edict declaring it is a public misdemeanor if you miss this conference if you are a citizen of Capital City, since the decision made there will affect animals across the entire state of Animalia."

Here Fabienne spoke up, her sober, British-accented voice ringing true and clear across countless screens across the state of Animalia.

"The governor has called this conference," she began, "in light of the forty-six documented incidents of the capital's predators suddenly losing control and rampaging across the city. All of these predators have been... terminated," she hesitantly added, "in order to preserve the peace in Capital City."

"Indeed," Peter finished, "it is a sad day in Animalia when the federal government's idea of peace is only slightly less brutal than that of the Hanzis sixty years ago."

Peter seemed to correct his posture, for he had fallen into a disheartened slouch as he spoke those words. He then leaned towards the camera, a serious look on his face.

"Anyway," he said quickly, "don't miss this mandatory conference, for the future of our nation depends on the course decided there."

* * *

Symba was not denied a funeral and burial, as such treatment would be beyond even the prey of Capital City. Placed in a simple wooden coffin (an ornate one such as those in the tombs underneath the Governor's Palace was simply too expensive), Symba's body was taken to a small church just a short away from the Kingdom Theater, where Tabby and the other members of Difursity gave a stirring eulogy.

That had been three weeks ago.

Gazelle had been a complete emotional wreck since her beloved was killed. By day, she walked around the apartment, part of her mind still kind of denying that he was actually dead—perhaps he was only unconscious. Everything she saw seemed to remind her of the cheetah and his promise to love her, from the smells of traces of Symba's fur gel in the shower to the toaster to Jacob Oldwood's guitar, the one used by Symba. This would cause her to wallow in a state of depression and grief.

At night, all she did was dream of Symba and relived his death over and over and over again. It was no secret to any of the other members of Difursity that she wept in her sleep. When she awoke after the nightmares, she would cry all the more, staring out her window at the very alleyway where Symba was killed, still fresh in her mind.