Chapter 10. Power Outage

Loki sat sideways at the front corner of the cube, eating the pizza she gave him. She sat in front of him, watching him with great interest. This was the first time she got so close to him since the van, she could see the pattern on his clothes.

"Why did you attack New York?"

Loki stopped chewing, turned his head to give her an insulting look. "I thought it was obvious that I wanted to rule Midgard."

"But why? You're the God of Mischief, not the God of Terrorism, or Destruction, or.. or.. Dictatorism."

She grew uncomfortable when Loki stared at her for a long time. She didn't know what he was thinking. Did he feel offended?

"Tell me your name, Midgardian," he finally make a sound.

"Oh, right! I'm sorry, I forgot. It's Elizabeth," she smiled. "Elizabeth Pearce."

"Why do you keep coming here?" Loki searched her eyes with those mesmerizing green eyes, although filled with distrust. Elizabeth felt like she would drown in them. She had to look down.

"I guess I saw similarities between us," she whispered. "That's why it's so comfortable talking to you."

"What similarities? Look at you," Loki lifted his hand to Elizabeth up and down, like showing off an antique. He sighed, "Look at me."

"We both know so little about this world," she said.

They stared at each other in silence, didn't know what else to say.

All of a sudden, a loud alarm went off. Loki's cell light turned to red. There were chaos outside the room. Elizabeth stood up, glanced at Loki.

"You wait here."

She ran upstairs.

***

People were running here and there. She grabbed someone's hand. That man looked terrified.

"What happened?"

"The electricity source were da-damaged," he stammered, "The prisons' lock were shut down."

They kept prisoners here? Who were they?

Don't tell me they're all gods.

Angry and vengeful gods.

She plucked out her courage and ran to the opposite direction of where people were running to. She kept running, and running, until she heard a roar from afar. She ran towards it.

And finally saw Cap and Stark, fighting with..

Oh my god. What IS that thing?

It was a huge creature, around Hulk's height. Its body was muscular, coated with white, slimy skin. Its face looked like a lion whose face were exposed to acid. It had very big claws.

And it moved crazy fast. Elizabeth couldn't see its movement. One second it was there, then a second later it was at the end of the hallway. Cap and Tony must have had their hands full fighting those creature alone.

A few of Tony's robots helped with the fight, redesigning themselves to chain the prisoners so they couldn't move.

She looked around to spot other prisoners attempting to escape. Right then, a strong bolt of lightning stroke her, throwing her in the air. She landed on her back on the ground, screamed in pain when the weight of her body, doubled by the force of the lightning bolt, crushed her wings.

Ugh, again?!

Then she saw her attacker. A goth-looking girl with short hair and black lips slowly walked towards her. Electricity sparked in both of her hands, threatening to lash out. She stopped when she was right above her, then she stroke her wings with her boots.

Elizabeth tried to control her breathing, looking straight into that lightning girl's eyes.

That girl. She looked very amused with the sight of her in pain. She smirked and chuckled as she whispered, "Bye-bye."

She put her hand above Elizabeth's face as lightning started to build up, and finally it stroke.

Elizabeth managed to form a barrier in front of her, but she only had little energy left. Her whole body screamed with pain. She couldn't concentrate.

The lightning collided with her barrier, slowly eating it up. It's only a matter of time before..

She suddenly heard the girl gasped. She looked up at her now blank face.

A knife had lodged in her forehead.

Her lightning died as she collapsed dead on the ground.

Elizabeth struggled to push her body up with her hands when she felt a hand on her back, supporting her body.

She lifted her head to see who saved her, and she saw those familiar pair of green eyes and black hair.

"Wh.. what are you doing, Loki?" she tried to sound angry and commanding, "Get back to your cell!"

It sounded like a weak whimper.

"Stop talking. I'll get you out of here," he said, as he carried her body away from the chaos around them.