Chapter 12. Trust Issue (2)

Elizabeth looked up to Loki's face slowly.

He gazed expectantly into her face with such sly smile.

She slowly raised her hand and grasped the Scepter.

"Nice try," Elizabeth snarled, "You JERK!"

She pushed his spear away from her chest and glared at him with so much intensity that rays would shoot out from them.

Loki looked surprised, amusement still twinkling in his eyes.

"Well, well.." he chuckled, placing his hand on his hips.

"You dare laugh? You miserable, psychotic dickhead.."

Loki's laugh grew louder as she threw those insults at him.

That's it. She hit the roof.

She punched him in the jaw as hard as she could.

***

They walked back to Loki's cell, accompanied by Steve and Tony. She stood beside him, making sure her grip was strong enough not to let him escape.

"Please don't take it too personally," Loki whispered to her, "Believe it or not, I'm just testing my theory."

"Wh- don't take it personally you said?" she barked, "You told me to trust you, and I did! How stupid of me."

Loki brought his head closer to her and whispered,

"You know, without Thor here, I could easily escape and run away, right?"

Elizabeth glared at him.

"But I won't," he continued, grinning at her. Ugh, how she wanted to punch those teeth.

"Try if you wanna die," she pulled his arm to walk faster.

"Should we put those gear back on his mouth?" Stark offered.

"Don't bother. I can handle him," Elizabeth gritted her teeth.

She threw him into his cell and watched him while Tony put the lock on. She crossed her arms.

Loki shrugged at her, half apologetic, half satisfied. Then he turned to Steve.

"You should take her to the doctors," he said. Steve was surprised, he didn't expect him to say that. Especially not after what he just done.

"Don't mind him, Steve. I got a lot of question for him," said Elizabeth without looking away from Loki.

"Fine, but go see a doctor after you're done, okay?" Steve touched her arm lightly, then he left the room with Stark.

"Explain yourself," she snarled.

Loki put both of his hands in the air like he was surrendering.

"I was testing my theory."

"What. Theory."

"Your power could take down the Hulk. I thought maybe my telephatic powers, or even the Scepter or the Tesseract wouldn't have much effect on you."

"Damn right, I am powerful, you asshole," she snapped. "Don't ever mess with me again."

She stormed off to the stairs, then stopped middle way.

"You know, I thought you might be better than what they said," she seemed more disappointed than angry now, "I won't make the same mistake twice."

Loki sighed as he watched her left the room.

***

Elizabeth went to the place where the scientists fixed her earlier. She met Tony and Steve there, along with some injured people.

"How did it go?" asked Steve.

Elizabeth shrugged. She sat at a vacant bed, looking down at her feet.

"I thought I could trust him," she whispered.

"Don't worry, we all have made that kind of mistake," Stark said, then he raised his hand. A scientist came to her.

"Show me where it hurts," she said. Elizabeth pointed at her wings.

"Hmm," she checked it up," This is gonna need a lot of work." She called 2 more doctors to join her. They prepared something behind her wings.

"So," Elizabeth cut off the silence, "Do you know what happened?"

"It seemed like one the staff got too close to the Scepter," Tony said, "You know, he got mind-controlled by that thing, who told him to wreck the power source control and made the prisons opened. God, space things scare me. Where's Banner when we need him?"

"But then, how could you not be affected by the Scepter?" Steve was really curious.

Elizabeth shook her head, "I don't know. Loki said he was.. testing.. this theory of his, about me not getting affected by his Scepter or even the Tesseract. But, his words couldn't be trusted."

The doctors told Elizabeth to lie down and they inject something to her wings. Ten seconds later, she felt tired and sleepy, it's hard to keep her eyes opened. She blinked a few times and finally let the drowsiness got the better of her.

"Actually that sounds pretty logical to me," said Stark. "Even I put you in a fight simulation with the three of us. Do I sound like I'm defending him? I'm not."

Stark's voice sounded more and more faint, until finally Elizabeth drifted off to sleep.